AA

dangerous brian

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd do well to remember DB, that the AA are nothing more than a trade association...... they are NOT a governing body. As such you have a choice whether to join or not, and this should not affect you standing as a professional Arborist.

If you're looking for a non political way of proving professionalism, i would strongly recommend that you look towards ISO 9001:2008 accreditation. ISO 9001:2008 - Quality management systems -- Requirements

Completely and utterly agree with all of that. Also look at CHAS and Constructionline.

AA Approved contractor scheme help with local authority framework agreements as there is such a long history between LA's and AAC scheme. It is still (wrongly) viewed as a bench mark for these agreements.

It also help with domestic work as more people than you think are familiar with the logo having seen it on adverts in the Yellow Pages etc.

When it comes to commercial work, 95% of the time when you say you are an a AA Approved contractor they will look at you blankly. It means nothing to most of the construction industry and facilities management companies.

I hope that these proposed reforms in 2011 have some impact on the scheme.

I think its a bit of a shame that so many are dead against the AA. You dont have to join if you dont want to. I pay a student subscription to them while I study for my degree, which I find quite good value for money.

I dont see the pressure to be an AAAC unless your main competitor for LA work is getting all the work over you. As mentioned there are many quality assurance schemes which we could all sign up for, all optional, all with various benefits for staff, employer and customer. Take your pick.

I have some reservations about the AA however they are a useful training provider and publish a decent amount of informative material. Those that think their training courses are too expensive...arent all courses expensive? I havent come across one yet which isnt a financial decision whether to do it or not.

Also it reduces your insurance premium probably more than your annual subscription.

Doug Blease