will amateurs accidents reflect on our insurance

Stephen Blair

The trouble with the HSE stats is that they record any accident involving a tree as arboriculture when at least a (good sized) portion of them should read landscaper got out of his depth with a chainsaw.

Agree, i know of a good few Landscapers that think all we do is "chop" em down at the bottom, also many have no chainsaw training or basic knowlage.

With the amount of accidents chainsaws should NOT be sold to the gen public with out say a 1/2 day basic course and proof of completion, nothing rocket science and nowt like we do just the real basics.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the amount of accidents chainsaws should NOT be sold to the gen public with out say a 1/2 day basic course and proof of completion, nothing rocket science and nowt like we do just the real basics.

Personally I don't think the World needs anymore legislation in the place of common sense.Yes Chainsaws are dangerous,if the buyer of said Saw uses it in a manner that results in injury or death.Then really they only have themselves to blame.

Edited by Mike Hill
pressed wrong button

Personally I don't think the World needs anymore legislation in the place of common sense.Yes Chainsaws are dangerous,if the buyer of said Saw uses it in a manner that results in injury or death.Then really they only have themselves to blame.

:congrats::congrats:

So its ok to blame someone because they dont know any better? Its the "im alright jack attitude" then. Not saying it has to be silly but if HSE want accidents down the only way is to insist on some form of basic training to show people the dangers!

To work in a cafe you need by law a basic food hygiene cert just to make sarnies.....why? to enlighten people to the danger of food poisoning, so why not other thing if its deemed necessary?

Common sense is good but if you don't know how to use something common sense wont teach you the right way will it!

To work in a cafe you need by law a basic food hygiene cert just to make sarnies.....why?

Because that will put OTHER people in danger.

Also germs cannot be seen, so the danger is NOT obvious.

When you see a chain ripping through wood it pretty clear it will do you some SERIOUS damage.

IMO, all the health and safety crap makes people think the world is a safe place, because if something is dangerous there will be legislation to make it safe, this is crazy, the world is a fairly dangerous place, we MUST ALL take care. :001_smile:

One instance of poor Hygiene could put dozens of people in hospital or worse,thats why its required.

One cut from the knife used to make said Sarnie's could put the Chef in the Hospital or Grave.But you don't need a cet to weild a Carving Knife.

Its called basic training, and its there to prevent accidents......!!!!!!

Am not saying chainsaws should be banned etc, what i was getting at was that if the HSE want accident to fall the only way is to insist on training and regulate things...

Hygiene certs were not compulsery untill about 10yrs ago but they are now, to control a situation.

I understand you point.

But I think you are missing mine.

The Cafe worker is doing their job,they are getting renumerated for their efforts and failure to follow correct procedure could result in sickness for their clients.

Your advocation of training courses for casual Chainsaw users would be akin to making me go to a class to learn basic food Hygiene before I could buy a Cake mixer.

I understand you point.

But I think you are missing mine.

The Cafe worker is doing their job,they are getting renumerated for their efforts and failure to follow correct procedure could result in sickness for their clients.

Your advocation of training courses for casual Chainsaw users would be akin to making me go to a class to learn basic food Hygiene before I could buy a Cake mixer.

Get your point but a cake mixer really aint dangerouse is it? well not in the same legue as a saw. wonder how many major accidents are recorded with the HSE for kenwood mixed accidents?

And you should go to class and learn basic food hygiene.:001_tt2: