how'r we supposed to compete

DN22 Gardening

Yep that's fair enough a rant can make us all feel better. I just find that more and more people are blaming others for their lack of work, and it bugs me.

I'm quiet but it's because I like to make a good living. The jobs I do I earn good money on. I don't pretend to be anything I'm not and if the competition can do it cheaper that I want to fair play to them. Every job that I've done in the past on the grounds side is still being done, but I chose not to do it for the price that someone is doing it. Am I charging to much - I don't think so. Is the competition to cheap, who knows if they are they'll be sleepless not me.

I'll be out kayaking whilst their working!!

R

R

I am at a point now where I just work enough to be comfortable . More time with family . Ever since slowing down I have started to value my time at a higher rate . So I tend price jobs higher :001_smile: . My motto is you can work all week and still be poor if your not careful .:lol:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont see what the problem is, the current financial instability is hitting most trades,some more than others, if someone wants to work for a loss good on them and they will either get wise and good, or fade away, these types have always been about and from my perspective they are welcome to the type of clients that use them. I bet there will be loads of domestic work on neglected trees (and leylandi) before too long,recession dont stop em growing & dying!

How do like them apples?

Grow some balls!!!!

I love them apples, especially when mixed to make cider!! Skyhucks little comment on his profile is very applicable:

This is only my opinion, it only has the weight YOU give it

Unfortunately I can't give your opinion much weight at all especially given a previous post:

College Help.

Views: 369

Posted By gmanntpo

Re: College Help.

Good advice from Fluffy Bunny... It is not acceptable to slag fellow professionals on line, be they educators, arborists etc.

But we live in a free country and your just as entitled to your opinion as I am. It would be boring if we all agreed!!!

R

Big apologies from me guys!

I was bang out of order last night... I had come back from the pub and had alot to drink..

I know that is no excuse, but I would just like to say how sorry I am for my totally unjustifed and rude comments.

I hope you will all forgive me for being a drunken idiot...

I was wrong to say those things and I'm truely sorry. I have max respect for every one on the forum..

I'm having a period of reflection to make sure this doesn't happen again..

Once again sorry to anyone I have offended...

Truely repentant

Gmann

A quick PM to Steve with a request to delete said posts would be an idea.

Forwhat its worth, I'm of the same mind as Dave (as usual) regarding competing with these sorts - Dont. If they want to work for firewood, thats fine by me.

They're no sort of competition for me in any case.

so this is what happens when i have a night infront of the telly with the wife, some pretty harsh words there, but hey you are man enough to apologise, if you are struggling with work and are loosing money to firewood guys, then why dont you start doing firewood, if you are better than the 'have a go guys' then you could do the trees for nothing, leave the brash and take the wood, there is only a handfull of customers that would accept this deal but if you want to get rid of your oposition then thats what you have to do, adapt, dont fight it. thats what the other guy did, couldnt be bothered paying for lpg, bought a saw, did a course and away he went, it isnt illegal to work for nothing, and he isnt really, he is saving the money,so that is his payment, it doesnt matter where it comes from as long as the money is in his bank then its a done deal.

Guys. I'm new to this forum and to tree work but consider this-

We installed a log burner to do our heating and hot water because LPG is too expensive. I had regular log deliveries from tree surgeons, and a chainsaw and splitter to process the wood. A couple of years ago the supplies all but dried up when fuel costs started to soar and the tree industry realised that there was good money to be made out of selling logs. What should I do? Pay the LPG bills, go cold and dont wash or collect my own logs? Cheapest option was to do CS30,31,32+34 get PPE and a trailer and collect my own wood. Taking down good quality wood for next to nothing seems fair enough so £20 per tree would have been a good deal to me at that time. Remember two good sized trees is a years heating which would have saved me £1000 in LPG. So the "value" of that job could have been as much as £1040 to me!!!!!!!

Regarding the £500 profit for the day "felling a couple of large ash trees", I hope your customer isnt reading this posting because he wont be paying £700 for "an easy days work" again. You may well be finding that next time he tracks down the guy who'll do it for £20 a tree and the logs!!

Assume you have full Pub Lib Insurance, waste carriers licence for brash (chipper to chip it?) and have jumped through the multitude of other hoops?!

:thumbdown: