Rocket Mass Heaters in the UK - anyone built one?

SteveA

Tried building one inside an old oil fired Rayburn - worked OK (wanted to burn thin willow twigs, a bit like the stick stove from BMWF Stick Stoves) but the flue inside kept cracking and with the design of the stove it was difficult to get a gravity feed for decent length stuff

null_zps3a2fc108.jpg

If it were possible to buy cheap firebricks like it seems to be in the USA, then I'd try again as my workshop is blooming cold. I'm also a bit unsure as to whether to try filling the boiler with something like sand or vermiculite as realistically I'm never going to connect it to a hot water system. Might even cut through the face of the boiler and turn it into a conventional wood burner

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We tried to build one, created several prototypes as there are slight variables within the initial chimney.

Thought we had cracked it, it worked as advertised only 5% of time, rest it was more akin to a open fire.

We tried this around 18 months ago, there were only sketches on the web. No measurements. If someone sells a kit or you can get plans it would be worth it.

We now have log burner with massive doors and that is too efficient!

Pretty sure there's plans here.😏

https://permies.com

If it were possible to buy cheap firebricks like it seems to be in the USA, then I'd try again as my workshop is blooming cold. I'm also a bit unsure as to whether to try filling the boiler with something like sand or vermiculite as realistically I'm never going to connect it to a hot water system. Might even cut through the face of the boiler and turn it into a conventional wood burner

Old night storage heaters were a source of dense firebricks.

Yes sand was used to fill old back boilers but I always wondered what happened when the steel burned through.

Funnily enough I did have a load at my first house (which I still own) but I doubt they're still there as I haven't lived there since 2007 :D

The Rayburn is pretty thick steel but I suppose if I'm lining it with fire bricks then it shouldn't need the sand

Look in the net and you will find the formula for the pipes, pretty simple really and requires no forced air at all.

The initial J or U shape chambers have moved on and now the fad is for an open fronted glass stove. 😧

Hi Paul, the glass fronted version which looks similar to a normal wood stove is called a 'batch box'.... the batch box is loaded up with wood and burnt in one hit.

Peter Van Den Berg (from the Netherlands) has done a huge amount of research on the chamber shape to optimise natural flow with an aim towards maximising efficiency in the burn. One of his test graphs shows zero CO2 emissions (for about two thirds of the burn time).

There's a website dedicated to his work here: Batchrocket.eu - Designs

cheers, steve

Old night storage heaters were a source of dense firebricks.

Yes sand was used to fill old back boilers but I always wondered what happened when the steel burned through.

Think you'll find night storage heater bricks are not fire bricks.... fire bricks are very light in weight and are designed to insulate from the fire; whereas a night storage heater brick is very heavy and its purpose is to absorb heat (as thermal mass).

cheers, steve

I looked into this for charcoal retorts. From reading around some bricks are fire proof due to the baking process. Think the term used to describe them was "smooth creams" Still not built the retort so can't comment on if they were fireproof though.

How different are Rocket mass heaters to masonry stoves? Always fancied build a masonry stove but the rocket mass heaters always seem a bit risky for home use.

The main difference is in price.... masonry heaters are amazing but also incredibly expensive (talking £thousands).

A badly designed and installed rocket mass heater is only as dangerous as a badly designed or installed log burner.

There are plenty of idiotic people on YouTube for both methods.

I wouldn't go near some designs with a barge pole!

cheers, Steve

The main difference is in price.... masonry heaters are amazing but also incredibly expensive (talking £thousands).

A badly designed and installed rocket mass heater is only as dangerous as a badly designed or installed log burner.

There are plenty of idiotic people on YouTube for both methods.

I wouldn't go near some designs with a barge pole!

cheers, Steve

Thanks Steve

Might check out Youtube for those with a death wish :001_smile: