Mobile Milling Business help

Benny360

doesn't matter what business you go into there are always people there telling you don't do it, there is no money, the business is knackered and round the corner there is someone else doing a roaring trade with a positive attitude, if you think you can sell some boards or make some furniture and you can afford a mill go for it that's what I'm doing £130 a month for an lt15 and I have plenty storage if your business can't afford that change jobs not like your going to compete with BSW tomorrow.

doesn't matter what business you go into there are always people there telling you don't do it, there is no money, the business is knackered and round the corner there is someone else doing a roaring trade with a positive attitude,

Agree with that too!

My first post was just how it is for me in Kent, and just for the record, I have an extremely positive attitude, but this doesn't always translate into sales.

I have a friend with two sawmills, one a real beast, and he has the same issues trying to drum up sales. We are both fortunate that milling is not our core business so we are not relying on milling for an income.

Update - since my first post, I have been approached by a local timber merchant and am now supplying all their hardwood timbers that they sell. Just goes to show that you never know what's round the corner.

Edited by Ilnumero
  • Like 1

Local timber merchants who only sell softwoods and panel products are worth approaching. Sometimes they can source hardwoods but often its a pita if a customer only wants a single board of oak etc. There isn't a lot of profit in it for them to make it worthwhile. If they can send the customer to you and you are happy to deal with them, then it could lead to further orders from them and word gets around. Local woodturning clubs, mens sheds and high schools are also sources of customers. It just takes a bit of creative thinking. There will also be local joiners who also require hardwoods now and again because they will get asked by their customers for additional jobs.

The best marketing for a local sawmill is that you are using local trees and customers like the fact that they know exactly where the wood for their shelf, tv unit, door etc came from.

Mike

• Like 1

I run a shed project and do supply timber there, normally softwoods, and at a discount.

The timber merchant work is the result of exactly the points you make, and a lot of gentle persuasion over some time.

I'm happy with the work I get for the mill as it's pocket money really, but it's always nice to make a hobby pay its way and the mill has probably paid for itself by now.

Edited by Ilnumero

Local timber merchants who only sell softwoods and panel products are worth approaching. Sometimes they can source hardwoods but often its a pita if a customer only wants a single board of oak etc. There isn't a lot of profit in it for them to make it worthwhile. If they can send the customer to you and you are happy to deal with them, then it could lead to further orders from them and word gets around. Local woodturning clubs, mens sheds and high schools are also sources of customers. It just takes a bit of creative thinking. There will also be local joiners who also require hardwoods now and again because they will get asked by their customers for additional jobs.

The best marketing for a local sawmill is that you are using local trees and customers like the fact that they know exactly where the wood for their shelf, tv unit, door etc came from.

Mike

that's exactly how I plan on marketing my timber, it's thought the romans built their fort on the farm because of the timber here and there's 3500 houses starting to be built in 2019 hoping to interest some of them with boards and mantles from the local ancient wood even though most of the oaks date to the 1850's.

• Like 1

Hey guys thanks for the advice, my alaskan will be arriving this week I feel like a kid at christmas, I guess I'll just see how it goes. It's definitely something I'm exited to get into even if it's just for my own use. I'm about a year into a long term project renovating a couple of farm buildings at the moment and I think the savings on timber might almost justify a small second hand mill at some point especially if I can do a few jobs and make some money out of it on occasion

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...
On 1/29/2017 at 22:16, Benny360 said:

Hey guys thanks for the advice, my alaskan will be arriving this week I feel like a kid at christmas, I guess I'll just see how it goes. It's definitely something I'm exited to get into even if it's just for my own use. I'm about a year into a long term project renovating a couple of farm buildings at the moment and I think the savings on timber might almost justify a small second hand mill at some point especially if I can do a few jobs and make some money out of it on occasion

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

How are you getting on Benny, would be good to hear how the milling is going!

• 1 month later...

Hi Mark sorry for the slow reply! I've been getting on really well with the alaskan, milled lots of really nice slabs and some larch for cladding. I bought a large circular saw for ripping boards and and have been surprised at how accurate Ive been able to get 2x2s 2x9s etc. Definitely got the bug anyways and am looking at purchasing a mobile bandsaw mill for a few larger projects I have in mind.

LRM_EXPORT_20180201_180949.thumb.jpg.69dd073122f3b0dff2b3ed719f7d946d.jpgLRM_EXPORT_20171231_185307.thumb.jpg.6c6648d6b92622c7f0dd5bfa8761d8b2.jpgLRM_EXPORT_20170207_154808.thumb.jpg.4957f724138aeafc3cc99f13f32793c1.jpgLRM_EXPORT_20180118_110651.thumb.jpg.4d8c127e5b44871130b1ad0b0a5234c5.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_20180118_110804.jpg

• Like 3

I think "diversify" is the theme.
Unless you have your own large mature forest.
Selling in any one niche limits your market exposure.
I started off milling as a side line about 5 years ago for a bit of fun.
Enjoyed it too much.
Ended up with a logistical log problem.
The plank you need is always at the bottom of a 6 foot stack.
Where am I putting the next log? Storage!
Minimum 1 year to season a 1" plank to 20%mc
2" is two years
4" is forever...
Fencing, out door tables benches, turning blanks
Beehives, waney edge cabins....
The more people i spoke to, the more people were interested.
Take a few videos on your mobile.
So much easier than explaining to a client.
Recently I rang round most of the local tree surgeons offering subbie groundie.
Very little interest until I mentioned milling,
"Oh you do milling! I've got a few logs..."
Getting a bit of work from that as a groundie too.

Basically, you make it work.
Takes a long time to spread the word though.
Good luck and looking forward to seeing some photos of your work.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji3]