Do you actually like what you do?

Simmo

I did various jobs as growing up trying to find a way to make money and be (reasonably) happy, including office jobs.sales etc and I realised that I enjoyed working with my uncle in my free time cutting trees whether I was getting paid or not.

The feeling of being outdoors the excitement watching trees being fell etc is what made me want to be there.

Now that I do it for a living I realise it has its ups and downs but as jobs go, at least in my experience, it's the happiest I've been and it seems to hold my attention. Like Mick said when it becomes a bit mundane there is a lot of satisfaction in the business side of it. I like being able to solve problems for people and provide a service.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think his point was if you do an activity with a certain risk per day then over a 1000 days all things being equal the total risk is 1000 times greater . The incident could occur on the first, last day or not at all, but the total risk remains the same.

that seems fair comment - if the probabiltly of an injury could be given a figure where 1 means it will always happen every day and 0 never, then if its say 0.0001 - this means statistically after ten thousand days each worker will have had an average of one accident.

The good news is that the probability of having an accident two days in a row is very low.

When did this become law and what I don't understand is your use of exponentially. If I go to work for 3 days (theoretical time only ) and don't have any accidents on the fourth day am I four times more likely to have an accident. I would eventually not go out if that was the case as I would be guaranteed to have an accident.

When did what become law?

I'm perplexed at the fact that this seems to be news to many of you. The law of averages or the law of statistics is not the same as Emperical Statistical Law and in this case, this law applies.

Tree work, particularly climbing carries a risk, therefore if I partake in that activity over and over my chances of something happening go up.

Well I didn't spend a decade as an amateur, tree work isn't rocket science, it's fairly basic on the surface once a good mentor is found.

Yes with more experience comes a wiser and safer set of hands, however, Emperical statistical law isn't really debatable, that's why it's a law.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

i think its best to think of it like this when you first treework the risk of accident is say 4% a random number i chose but over time with experience the risk of having one because of youre knowledge goes down to say 0.5% the way youre describing it sounds like a clock almost as if you start at 4% risk of accident and everyday it goes up 0.1% till 100% and then resets.

hope this help y'all bickering over nothing.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Arbtalk mobile app

i think its best to think of it like this when you first treework the risk of accident is say 4% a random number i chose but over time with experience the risk of having one because of youre knowledge goes down to say 0.5% the way youre describing it sounds like a clock almost as if you start at 4% risk of accident and everyday it goes up 0.1% till 100% and then resets.

hope this help y'all bickering over nothing.

Well yes and no, if you're not at work then the risk is obviously zero and while at work the opposite, whatever that factor may be.

However, I'm talking tree work as a whole because I was responding to a statement which said, the longer you do it, the more chance you have of surviving. That's factually inaccurate.

Car insurance companies use the law I stated as do the FAA.

Well yes and no, if you're not at work then the risk is obviously zero and while at work the opposite, whatever that factor may be.

However, I'm talking tree work as a whole because I was responding to a statement which said, the longer you do it, the more chance you have of surviving. That's factually inaccurate.

Car insurance companies use the law I stated as do the FAA.

youre very cantankerous just a small observation.

I think the guy received a rather aggressive response to what was just a fleeting common sense statement . Everyone is not touchy just certain individuals..

I think the problem with a forum, like texting, is the tone cannot be judged. I for example was just responding to clarify my stance, I was sipping on a cup of tea at the time and rather relaxed in fact.

But yes, not everyone, I did respond harshly as I had just been insulted from seemingly nowhere, so I apologise for that.

Imagine any debate anywhere, whether philosophical or scientific was reduced to name calling when an opinion or statement is challenged?