Buying A 2nd Hand Con-saw

Haironyourchest

I know this has been asked before, but its been a while and new members or information may have new input...In short, I need a concrete saw - I have been struggling with a 9 inch grinder and diamond blade cutting ferroconcrete fence posts. The problem is lubrication - the grinder cuts dry and the heat glazes the diamond particles, as well as making dust. I wear a good respirator, but the dust still contaminates everything else. In the shed is a selection of con saw blades, composite and diamond, but never got round to acquiring the con saw.

So it seems that the problem with used con saws is guys use them dry, and the copious amounts of dust eventually work through the filter and trash the rings, which then break and trash the motor. I was using a friend's one a Stihl TS350 - classic con saw - and it was grand, old but worked well, and we were also cutting dry. I should think it had been abused for years, by the look of it, yet it ran well.

Thing is, I don't want to meet some guy in a parking lot and ask if I can disassemble the machine before I agree to buy it - I know he will start the thing add assure me its a "great runner etc" but how would I know if its on its last gasp? Sorry, this is just another of my random stream of consciousness rants - I already know I should fork out for a new machine. Being anal about care and feeding, it would probably last forever in my hands, but they are an expensive luxury for a jack-of-all-trades.

Anyone here bought a used one and how did you get on with it?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately a used con saw is the same as any other small engine machine, unless you take the exhaust off and check the piston there is no way of knowing for sure what the internals are like. But if its got good compression, starts, revs up, holds its revs, and idles as it should then it should be decent. I have a Makita DPC6400, decent enough saw, but an old Stihl 350 would probably do just as well as a new machine, but a lot cheaper.

I get them in the workshop all the time at the mo I have 3 in various states of bollocksness parts are pretty cheap for them I gave up using genuine parts for them as they can break them just the same as Chinese parts the pretty much if you prime and its starts on the 3/4pull you wont go wrong it always amazes me how manky the air filters get and they still run

I have a TS380 that I bought secondhand and have had for many years. I use it to cut slate. I always cut wet as it keeps the dust down, keeps the blade cool and washes the waste away as slurry so the diamond doesn't clog.

I know it's a different composition but cutting slate wet seems to help the blade life enormously. It has two water jets on the blade guard and a connection to a garden hose, works a treat, so you may want to look out for this on a used machine.

Any cutter with water cooling won't have been subjected to such a dusty atmosphere.

I personally wouldn't bother buying second hand especially stihl saws from what I see happening to them on sites you don't know what you are getting and for a couple of hundred pounds extra on top of the price of a good second hand one you can get one with warranty and you know how its been treated.

I usually keep mine about 4 years sell them on ebay and have a new one costs less than a pound a week and my saw is used nearly every day.

I go for the husky with a 14inch blade found them to be the most reliable and are usually cheaper.

Cheers for your replies fellers. There is a place in Clare that deals in second hand stuff on a retail basis, informal handshake warranty kind of thing. They have some TS400's at the right price, maybe I'll give them a call. If they'll let me strip off the muffler before buying I'll chance it, will call them tomorrow.

Cheers for your replies fellers. There is a place in Clare that deals in second hand stuff on a retail basis, informal handshake warranty kind of thing. They have some TS400's at the right price, maybe I'll give them a call. If they'll let me strip off the muffler before buying I'll chance it, will call them tomorrow.

Whereabouts are you from?