what is more dangerous a compression, included or tensile fork

danthemanwhocan

On 02/11/2022 at 23:56, woodchipperer said:

I find this really interesting. 

"found the answer" they wanted, not necessarily the correct answer when you account for all the new research

Are your referring to to Duncan Slater's work? I like how he pointed out and documented how unions change over time and one union can be  a mix of types depending on what side of the tree you look at it from. And not to judge a union alone but to look at the growth structure above the union, the angles and if there are any rubbing branches or 'natural bracing'. That was my take on it anyway. I saw a cut up tree recently which had about 1m of vertical growth on top of an old union which illustrated this perfectly. 

2 hours ago, danthemanwhocan said:

Are your referring to to Duncan Slater's work? I like how he pointed out and documented how unions change over time and one union can be  a mix of types depending on what side of the tree you look at it from. And not to judge a union alone but to look at the growth structure above the union, the angles and if there are any rubbing branches or 'natural bracing'. That was my take on it anyway. I saw a cut up tree recently which had about 1m of vertical growth on top of an old union which illustrated this perfectly. 

So is a branch growing out of  the middle of a union a bad thing then??

john..

9 hours ago, john87 said:

Is that right... I guess the author of the report knows just a little bit about the subject [which was PRECISELY what the OP was interested in.]

john..

Don't make the mistake of thinking that just because an author is an expert / professional, they know what they are doing. In my field of expertise, I see terrible work done by so called experts on a daily basis. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, danthemanwhocan said:

Thanks John. Interesting read and a sad case. What was the verdict and outcome?

The bit that fell off was about 70 foot long an about 18" diameter, It killed the one boy, but another in a wheelchair, and did not do much for the other two..

The parents sued the national trust but the judge ruled that the trust was not to blame as their inspector had taked reasonable care when looking at the tree..

john..

Thanks John

As a surveyor hearing about these cases are a great motivation to not get complacent. And also to learn from.

It would be good if there was a good reference to cases involving trees. I am sure there is. Maybe there is that you know of. I want this book but not sure if it has much and not sure if I can justify the expense if not- The law of trees, Forests and Hedges (3rd edition)

WWW.SUMMERFIELDBOOKS.COM

Buy The Law of Trees, Forests and Hedges: 3rd Edition Hardback by Dr Charles Mynors, Elizabeth Nicholls, Stephanie Hall ISBN: 9780414103009

• Like 1

1 hour ago, danthemanwhocan said:

Thanks John

As a surveyor hearing about these cases are a great motivation to not get complacent. And also to learn from.

It would be good if there was a good reference to cases involving trees. I am sure there is. Maybe there is that you know of. I want this book but not sure if it has much and not sure if I can justify the expense if not- The law of trees, Forests and Hedges (3rd edition)

WWW.SUMMERFIELDBOOKS.COM

Buy The Law of Trees, Forests and Hedges: 3rd Edition Hardback by Dr Charles Mynors, Elizabeth Nicholls, Stephanie Hall ISBN: 9780414103009

I am no expert at all, but some of the others migt have this book and can advise you better..

john..