Anyone happen to be travelling from France to the UK?

agg221

A long shot I know, but does anyone happen to be travelling from France to the UK in the near future.

I am looking to bring over around six top-worked cider apple trees as they are not available in the UK. They will be bare-root and apples are not subject to any restrictions but the shipping companies are becoming more restrictive in their policies (in a 'computer says no' type sense) and it is tricky to get them here as a private individual (some couriers will only deal with a VAT registered business).

The nursery is near Angers. Being top-worked trees they will be around 2.5m long, so would only really fit in a van or pick-up (or an estate if you don't have anyone else in it).

Happy to cover costs.

Cheers

Alec

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try small courrier firms that go from Spain to the U.K. They often pick up stuff on the way from the peninsula to fill a load. You'll pay, but not much.

Good thought - any ideas on how to find one? I have been burned by Shiply before so am keen to avoid them. Any suggestions on decent web-based brokers?

Cheers

Alec

Hello,

I have spoken to a colleague, Clive, who makes regular crossings, almost monthly from the Brittany region in a large panel van.

Your nurseryman will need to arrange transport to my address from which Clive could pick up the trees.

If your French is not up to this then I can also help.

Clive Chandler 0033(0)299950751

[email protected]

Regards

Ty

Hi

Just a thought, we are going to UK in early January, we have an Xtrail if they would fit in that - just the two of us travelling but have a tight schedule on the UK side.

Both good French speakers, if all else fails we could divert through Angers.

N

Thanks all for the suggestions and offers of help - very much appreciated.

I have picked up with Ty as this probably offers the easiest route for the nursery, which makes it more likely that they won't just give it up as too difficult. If that falls through I will see what else works best.

NFG - thank you for your offer - I will treat it as a fall-back but at least the UK side should be a lot easier to arrange (the trees will keep a week or two and I can get to most places, so long as you aren't heading straight to the Hebrides or Cornwall!)

The VAT registered business route does work but it will be a bit of a pain as it means setting up a TNT account to access the TNT express service. There is an oddity in the system in that TNT are happy to carry plants but domestic users can't access the large parcel service directly and the website brokers have plants on their prohibited list, however I will come back to people if necessary and they are still willing as it is a reasonable price for shipping.

Thanks All,

Alec