Little tiny baby beech tree

silvafox

This tree clocked up over 50 tonnes of lumps removed in 2-5 ton sections after having removed the main canopy with conventional rigging and lowering systems. I did'nt measure it with a tape but wish I had. It was about 6' dbh and forked at about 35', each co-dominant at this height was a good 3' diameter. I guessed 110'+ to the top. The crane lifted up one end of the trunk you see felled and registered 12 ton thereby we guessed about 18 ton in all.

The crane opo allowed me to ride the hook on the afternoon of the first day as I informed him of American ANSI Standards and swore secrecy. This made things go real quick and was wicked fun.

We could of had a real nice soundtracked film made like those yanks on youtube but hey, its all in a days work.

Tomograph and then auger tests showed internal decay at the base of the tree. It was situated in a very public place and was leaning over a church. The crotch at 35' was also a great concern. at some point in recent history some brainiac had actually gone up and chucked in a shovel or two of concrete! I guess each co-dominant weighed in at 20 t plus drag etc. There was also a single cable and brace fixed between the two trunks. The crane just popped the cable in two and the bolts stayed home. It was a National Trust property. They have to be seen to make trees safe especially with recent events.

It all went for firewood. I just got her down and the local (tenant to NT)farmer shnaffled it away on his loader. The lord of the Hall complained he only got about 5-10 t of the roughest sh*te, (big crotch included) and questioned the whole op with NT HQ. They then requested to see all the paperwork inc my insurance, method statement, r assment, nptc's etc which on this occasion was watertight as the NT forester I deal with had asked for it anyway.