Best mainstream 4x4 pickup for towing 3.5t

Matthew Storrs

Interested to hear how he does it, to me it sounds like their could be complications with the system. For example, IW trailers themselves are only played at 3500kg. And with tri axles your payload is reduced, that aside I imagine you would need to upgrade the knott hitch as again that is only 3500kg.

Of course there is the license thing too, a tri axle trailer with 3t digger and bits will be all of 4 tons so I doubt the 'E' entitlement on the license will be valid.

Defenders are rated to tow 3500kg but I'm sure I read this can increase to 4ton will powered brakes? Even so, I wouldn't want to subject it to 4 ton, and if I did for traction you'd need to have a fair bit of weight in the truck itself.

It's obviously a system that works well for your mate though Jon so he must think it is all worth it over running a 7.5tonner beaver tai?

I can see the added safety factor of it but ultimately you are increasing the general strain on the towing vehicle with the added weight etc.

I wouldn't have thought that if a Hilux is rated at 2250 towing then suddenly with powered brakes it can jump to 4ton, surely there rating has other factors such as chassis strength etc which braking would have no effect on.

Like I say I'd be keen to see how he does it legally but to me it seems like a lot of factors and upgrades for possibly little advantage?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Netherlands (not UK I know, but still eu and similar-ish regs) you can adapt a 100 cruiser to tow over 6t. Electric sensors on the pedals, uprated rear suspension, uprated hitch etc.

There's also the b+e artics, up to 16!T gtw on a b+e licence....

Back here, there are fully legal electronic brake systems fitted to motorhomes with tow cars. (which are trailers, and always have brakes, all fitted brakes must work regardless of weight)

Sent from my D5803 using Arbtalk mobile app

In the Netherlands (not UK I know, but still eu and similar-ish regs) you can adapt a 100 cruiser to tow over 6t. Electric sensors on the pedals, uprated rear suspension, uprated hitch etc.

There's also the b+e artics, up to 16!T gtw on a b+e licence....

Back here, there are fully legal electronic brake systems fitted to motorhomes with tow cars. (which are trailers, and always have brakes, all fitted brakes must work regardless of weight)

Sent from my D5803 using Arbtalk mobile app

Erentek quoted me about £1500 to fit an air braking kit to a pick up which would work air trailer brakes from the LR. This would have enabled a trailer of 4 tonnes but GTW would have stayed the same.

I don't like towing a trailer that is 3.5 tonnes on overrun brakes even if the truck is that heavy. Taking a tracked chipper out behind an unladen transit always worried me.

My mate tows his 3t Kubota (on a tri-axle ifor) behind a 2007 2.5 Manual Hilux. You can start off in low range and swap straight to High when starting off

That's interesting, something else that I used to like about my Landy! Can any of the others shift range like that?

I have towed big generators around for years. Had discos and amazons for more than 20 years. An Amazon from around 2005 would be ideal for you but it's not a pick or commercial and will cost you tax wise. The defenders disco 1 and 2 were ok for pulling 2500kg but 3500kg was just too much on a regular basis. The disco 3 and 4 is up to the job and is as good if not better than the Amazon but get a bad one and you will throw £6000 a year keeping it on the road. I don't think there is an easy answer because if there was I would be driving a new one and changing it every 3 years.

You don't need s pick up truck you need a unimog !! Personally I couldn't think of any thing more depressing then towing up hill n down dale all day everyday in a poor little underpowered pick up it's clearly a struggle

The only pick up for you is a yank if you don't want a mog

Update on "Electric over Hydraulic Brakes"

My Mates setup is as follows:

- Allows you to tow max 4.5 tonne.

- Electrical side in truck - hydraulics modded to trailer in this case tri-axle ifor: weight limit 1.5t per axle.

Installed by LUCAS - sadly now no longer. Doesn't know who would fit such a system now; they were the cats meow apparently.

Cost £3.5k 10 years ago; est £5k now.

No pics yet sorry.

Agree with Steve - I've had defenders, Range Rovers and early Discos, but have now settled on the D3/D4 (we have one of each) for work purposes. I've been lucky and (so far) have had good examples with nothing too major other than one gearbox which was a warranty item. Other than that it has been an air compressor and routine servicing - have just passed 165k on the D3. I did try a LC once but found the ergonomics were not for me (and VERY thirsty)

In part it is a mindset issue - pickups 'look the part' whereas the D3/D4 doesn't, and many regard it is a 'luxury' vehicle. The D3 regularly goes places fully loaded where our defenders would struggle or fail, and has a larger rear loadspace than even the 110. You have to accept that the door linings will get damaged (unless you buy a commercial), and that there will be scruffs and scrapes. However, in 4 yrs and 125k I reckon I've lost about £12k in depreciation on the D3, and have spent approx £2k per year on servicing etc.

Of the 125k miles, maybe 20k offroad and 40k towing trailers ranging from an old GM chipper up to fully loaded exhibition trailers across europe, 7.5m boats etc.

Update on "Electric over Hydraulic Brakes"

My Mates setup is as follows:

- Allows you to tow max 4.5 tonne.

- Electrical side in truck - hydraulics modded to trailer in this case tri-axle ifor: weight limit 1.5t per axle.

Installed by LUCAS - sadly now no longer. Doesn't know who would fit such a system now; they were the cats meow apparently.

Cost £3.5k 10 years ago; est £5k now.

No pics yet sorry.

Just been reading on another forum (caravanning) about electric brakes, they mention that in Aus and US they commonly have fifth wheel arrangements for pickups and this has capacity for a lot higher trailer loads, the overrun system we have is rated at 3500kg because there is extra force in the pushing and 'snatching' involved. A fifth wheel is rigid.

I must say it sounds like a fantastic setup (electric brakes). Apparently you have dash controls to set how much braking force to be applied etc, and they are relative fail safe in that should the vehicle itself have braking issues the trailer is totally independent. Again overrun brakes really on the vehicle stopping in the first place ( more I think about in surprised they are still allowed up to 3.5t even!)

However all this is fine and dandy and not an unrealistic investment cost either. But I seriously doubt any of these small pickups and I think I would include LC in this too, are they really quite up to coping with 4 ton plus as a daily grind- I'm not so sure, yank pickups are a different ball game.

I still think a Mog would suit me down to the ground but Jon, your putting me off!

Actually, I used to work for a chap who had a 1980s U1000 and in the 5 years I worked with him it only had 1 big time expense recon engine to a tune of 8k. But other than that just welding and general wear and tear!