How susceptible is beech to Armillaria

Arborist Sites

I went to a new high end development about three years ago. Trees had been cleared that had armillaria.

These were removed and stumps ground (!) some new fairly mature specimen beech were planted and all but 2 died due to armillaria.

There are 5 distinct species of armillaria in europe and the UK, with varying degrees of pathogenicity.

Its possible that the sycamore's were killed or weakened by another pathogen and a weakly pathogenic/saphrophitic species of armillaria (e.g A. gallica) was able to exploit it and is now feeding on the huge dead wood resource, hence the numbers of fruit bodies.

If this is the case then the beech, providing it is vitaility is good may well continue to enjoy a good life expectency. Beech is listed as have a useful resistance to armillaria, but of course this can depend on a lot of factors.

I have investigated several cases where, on first examination, armillaria seems to be the main agent. With further investigation, it has become clear that the armillaria was a secondary coloniser. For example where the fatal agent has been ustulina.

On the other hand, it could be the highly pathogenic A. mellea that has killed the sycamores and is now setting its sights on the beech!!! Sometimes a useful indicator is the fact that if there are copious amounts of the black rhizomorphs (bootlaces) then this indicates the weaker sapo/patho A. gallica and cepestipes. Where as A. mellea has very few rhizomorphs.

I guess the punch line is, when you see honey fungus, don't always think it has caused the death of the tree and don't necessarily think it will always spread to other hosts.

The key to combating armillaria in a garden setting is to maxmise all the tree stocks vitality, through, mulch, fine particle fertilzers and keeping the food source down, e.g grind/remove as much stump/root as poss...

Hope that is of a bit of use.

Cheers Gmann

Looks like the mycelium of one of the Armilarias

Any bootlaces around?

TBH didnt notice any but I should be back there this or next week so will have a look.

I meant to put this in the tis the season to...... thread dunno how it ended up here:confused1:

Probably drunk :001_smile: