Want to gain experience but not given the chance

Carl_s1991

Surely to my boss the freelance is costing twice as much? He has to pay 180 per day for the guy, surely the freelance pays his ni/tax not my boss? He pays him 180 at the end of the job, that's double what I get. It's upto him if he declares it etc but it still goes out of pocket as 180. We are busy but could easily manage

But YOU are costing the boss a lot more than the £90 you get. Your boss has to pay your holidays your kit your ppe sick pay etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

But YOU are costing the boss a lot more than the £90 you get. Your boss has to pay your holidays your kit your ppe sick pay etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

My climbing saw, my ground saw, my climbing kit, my loler test, my trousers. All I ask is boots

Granted it is my choice, as I find the cheap franctical trousers a nightmare, i don't get on with or trust his climbing kit and without my saws we'd struggle to run two teams.

He probably thinks if you start doing the job you will want the pro climber rate. If you are supplying your own saw to run his business that's down to you, suppose it broke would he replace it or pay for a repair ?

I'm not after that right away. As for my saws, well they have broke on jobs and I've paid for the parts, but my climbing saw was dropped and broke. He bought the orange filter cover. He did square up with me as I soon discovered it needed the baffle and baseplate as well as new filter as it snapped.

Slow down a bit Carl, we have a "climber" that has been four years in the making. Came to us with all the tickets as a climber but its only been in the last year that he has proven himself to the point we are confident we can send him out on his own with ground staff. I was watching him dismantle a windblown tree hung up in another that was littered with hazards in the drop zone and the penny dropped with me that he had matured into a proficient climber. Your boss has probably not spotted that spark or turning point yet, when he does trust me he wont feel the need for the ££££££££££££££ubby.

Bob

The freelancer is a safe bet for your boss, he KNOWS what he can do, to what standard and in what time frame. You may think that because he costs twice as much, you would be able to take twice as long to do the same work? Wrong! the ground staff will then be costing your boss twice as much on that job as it takes twice as long.

I would assume you've been with this boss the 18 months? he possibly doesn't realise that you're progressing as a climber. TALK to him about wanting to do more prunes, let him give you the chance rather than resenting the freelancer, see if you can get up the tree with the freelancer (my pet hate on anything other than deadwooding tbh)

Just got off the phone about 20 mins ago with my boss on the subject. He understands I want to improve and he says I am a good climber etc, but we are busy so he gets the subby in to get the jobs done. I agreed but also said what I thought about it and said i want to do it. I understand work is work he said we will climb more, but then a few mins later I felt let down when he mentioned tomorrow, removing ivy from a fence, Tidying up some borders and strimming. The subby is in again doing a small lime reduction- 2 men 1/2 day. I then mentioned that and he said I've booked him in now and can't let him down. The major frustration is when these pruning jobs come in and we do them, I'm that inexperienced that it takes alot longer etc so that's more of a reason to get the subby in. I don't expect to become good overnight, but I've been here nearly 5 years and I feel sometimes that this is a good as I can get within this company

Hi all, I have 18 months experience climbing and I want to advance myself in climbing

but I've been here nearly 5 years and I feel sometimes that this is a good as I can get within this company

Be patient young padawan.

You need to start your clock from the time you told the boss of your desire to advance, not from the time you became frustrated.

As far as the boss knows, this wasn't an issue till you brought it up and from what you say, that was this morning.

You cant seriously expect him to binn a contractor off at zero notice because you only found your voice today???

Maybe when the work load isn't so hectic your boss will let you do the smaller climbing jobs?

Right now if you have a lot of work on and your boss needs them doing asap the subby is the better option for him.

Just keep reminding your boss that you want to get more experience as a climber every few weeks and see what happens when the work load isnt so demanding.