oxdale log splitters

Johny Walker

I had a go on Matt Stores one. Not sure of the tonnage. Nicely made and plenty of push but what put me off is A the small blade and B the blade is very close to the main frame upright. If you have a log flare side down it was hard to get the blade onto the wood and was liable to push the log out instead of split it. Great if nice parallel logs but poor with misshapen lumps. This was a few years back so they might have altered the design since.

Blade is small but splits well, quick as well. 1 problem is blade stops a little bit to short so you need to have a bloke on base, and the other is it has no auto return, but for its size a great splitter and light enough to pick up by hand and move.

Made a frame to stand mine on and.got a set of 6m hoses for it so tractor can stand facing splitter and I can chuck logs in to bucket will its plug in back of tractor.

The box section on ours cracked off at the base, rewelded it a few times but in the end used the hydraulic valve ram etc and made our own out of a rsj and bucket wear edge for the wedge. As others have said they are pretty quick as the rams not too big, but obviously in knotty hardwood it does also mean it can stop or get stuck. Maybe we were just being over rough with ours but never touched relief valve.