Traditional Firewood is history

TimberCutterDartmoor

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tin Hat on...........

Im currious about peoples set ups and what they find is the problem?

I own a small woodland as part of some of my fields, the trees are no use to my sheep so I sold them standing to a chap selling firewood - He paid me 20/cube standing, approx, mostly sycamore coppice originally planted for pit props, cut himself and dragged in bundles with a kubota. and he sells bulk bags (1/2cube) for 45 and makes a good living, and gets 3.5-4 bags from each cube standing, he recons he averages process and deliver 30 bags in a normal week, but in peak time sells close on 45.

Now to me, thats a good set up - he has no shortage of farms with small woodlands to raid - plenty of coppice about, and he just uses a saw horse and chainsaw, bucket, defender 110 and tipping trailer.

So - if he is making a profit, why are people struggling against him?

Whats wrong with his business plan? Hes most likely making more than national average sallary (Which is no mean feat for anyone in any self employed trade), and appears to lead a comfortable life;

So, are others perhaps over-invested? Tied into overheads? Or is he just lucky?

That to me looks like he is doing multipul jobs for one set of profits as well as buying to wood cheaply.

He is the cutter

forwarder

haulier

processor

& retailer

If he was buying his wood in his costs would be nearer £50 / tonne before he processes it.

Your right Richard it is just a sales pitch.

So we adapt ours.

We only do couple of hundred ton.

But we emphasise the differences and kinda go for a Stella sales pitch "reassuringly expensive" hand cut from SSSi sites so supporting conservation etc only best species air dried to a moisture level that makes no difference etc.

We find people support us because we are a small operation.

And anyway I've seen Wills set up ... Nothing to be scared off!:lol:

Yup, agree completely.