Fencing price query

Maxnaggle

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To go into more detail, the neighbours back garden has been land scaped level, leaving a 3 foot step up between boundaries. So from my mum's side I would say the fence is about 5 foot, more like 8 foot on the neighbours side.

It looks as though it was installed in a way so that it acted like a retaining wall... As well as a fence. And now it's started to fail, no biggie really, as it's only holding a fairly small amount of material..

Tbh, I'm slightly confused. Why would you build a 3 foot high retaining wall between the gardens then build an 8 foot high fence in front of the retaining wall? Why not just build the retaining wall and then put a 5 foot fence on top?

When the wall is being built it should be easy enough to cast in slots for the fencing posts.

I'd agree where the wall/ fence are to go with the respect to the boundary before work starts....

Tbh, I'm slightly confused. Why would you build a 3 foot high retaining wall between the gardens then build an 8 foot high fence in front of the retaining wall? Why not just build the retaining wall and then put a 5 foot fence on top?

When the wall is being built it should be easy enough to cast in slots for the fencing posts.

I'd agree where the wall/ fence are to go with the respect to the boundary before work starts....

heya mate. yep that was suggested, to keep costs down etc, but the lady next door doesn't want to look at the wall, which is why she wants the big fence

heya mate. yep that was suggested, to keep costs down etc, but the lady next door doesn't want to look at the wall, which is why she wants the big fence

Yeah, some neighbours are a bit weird...

I don't think your mum has any responsibility to pay for an 8 foot fence if a 5 foot fence would do. It also seems likely that the gap between the retaining wall and 8 foot fence would fill with crud leading to the fence rotting.

If I was a suspicious person I'd suggest your neighbour wants to eventually knock the 8 foot fence down and make her garden bigger. As a matter of interest where would the wall and 8 foot fence be built in relation to the existing fence?

I'm slightly confused, the way i'm picturing it if the fence is the boundry the wall would be on ur side so u should be paying for it all? But i must be picturing it wrong

Either way u really want to be setting in ur posts for the fence at same time as building the wall, well laying the founds, unless u cut away a section of founds for the posts later.

A 3" square post hardly supports a 6ft fence so u will be looking at a 4" or even 5" post probably 11 to 12ft long, they will not be cheap. for a normal 6ft fence i usually use 9'6" or 10ft posts. That extra 2ft in hieght will fairly catch the wind and has a lot more leverage on the posts

Posibly u could clad the wall? Screw some 2x1 or something to the wall and rail/clad with feather edge and then just have a 5ft fence on top, from a distance u'd never notice.

If ur lucky with 9" hollows u can usually slide a 3" post down the hollow if well built, but i'd say a 5ft fence is pushing it for a 3" stab, but would depend on the fence type (if solid or lets air throu) and how much wind it catches. I build a 3ft feather edge fence like that years ago for myself and just slide the posts into some wet slurry concrete and cut rails to suit where the posts went, just got to mind not to fill all the blocks and leave space for the posts

It does sound dear, but there mibee is a reason for it, i take it the builder is doing the wall and the fence??

I'd say it wouldn't hurt to get some more quotes