Holly tree root removal

Countryboy

I have a small woodland that was overgrown with holly trees. most have been removed now but the roots are shooting again. Stump grinding would not be practical as there are far too many of them.

Any ideas of how and what to use would be appreciated. I am a pensioner and my aim before I die is to kill them all off. it is me or the holly roots:blushing:

Drill them with a spade bit and pour some stump killer or sodium chlorate down the hole and put a plastic bag over it with an elastic band. Whereabouts are you ? I heard of someone round here getting a grant to clean up a wood on his farm which was overrun with Holly.

How many is too many? Ecoplugs are an effective poison that wont harm the environment and are weather proof - they cost roughly £1 each and you'd expect to be using between 4 and 10 on each stump (Im assuming none of the stumps are enourmous!)

Alternatively, any stump removal firm worth their salt should be able to get through a large number of stumps in a day with a good machine, if there is suitable access.

I have a small woodland that was overgrown with holly trees. most have been removed now but the roots are shooting again. Stump grinding would not be practical as there are far too many of them.

Any ideas of how and what to use would be appreciated. I am a pensioner and my aim before I die is to kill them all off. it is me or the holly roots:blushing:

Run a mulcher over it and enter into a spraying program. Its the only practical way. We have been knocking over vast area`s of Holly recently.

Bob

We cleared some overgrown Holly recently, it was large trees and as branches touched ground had suckered and spread over the area.

A digger levelled the site for so we could re-seed with grass, and dug out the stumps/roots easily.

Why bother with the de stumping ? he wants to re stock with broadleaf so clear the Holly and re plant. Spray off the regen as part of a program. If he is that bothered about all the stumps stick a 20ton 360 in there and power rake the whole site.

Bob