Working on trees near train lines

jjll

Hi,

What would be the the best way to carry out works near train lines.

The trees are on an industrial site which backs up to the line.

What procedures should be carried out before carrying out any works?

It's very unlikely access will be needed from track side but any advise on this sort of thing would be appreciated.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1436222488.851430.jpg.060266bac8351f2f6c75679eb595e7dc.jpg

Hi,

What would be the the best way to carry out works near train lines.

The trees are on an industrial site which backs up to the line.

What procedures should be carried out before carrying out any works?

It's very unlikely access will be needed from track side but any advise on this sort of thing would be appreciated.

[ATTACH]185598[/ATTACH]

lots of red tape & loads of hoops to go thru,

its british rail it aint going to be easy now is it :laugh1:

Thanks,

So to clarify. What is the working distance to boundary line and tracks in which you don't need pts?

I am yet to see the job in person so may be clearer when I do.

If I don't need to be working within the rail airspace and can all be carried out within the industrial sites, does this need any additional requirements?

Or is it purely for the fact of safe working in the case of something cocking up?

Thanks,

So to clarify. What is the working distance to boundary line and tracks in which you don't need pts?

You need qualified people if you work on or near the line, 3 metres in most cases. You also need a Safe System of Work produced by a qualified person to access and do the job if it means going on or near the line. Network rail will want to be informed of any work that can cause anything to impinge on or near the line or onto or over their property.

You need to inform Network Rail before you commence with this. You will almost certainly need PTS to undertake the work. If any branches / limbs come down on the track, the result could cause a derailment. The result of this is just not worth it.

:thumbup1:

Approach with caution, dot the "i's" and cross the "t's."

I had extreme hassles trying to engage with NWR over a TPO tree within falling distance of the line if it failed. Eventually got the NWR area safety bod and TO on site at same time to assess.

NWR guy was a nightmare - I'm sure he only worked in increments of £500.

£500/day for a bloke to stand on the track and tell us if a train was coming.

£500/minute if any train was delayed (and that is not just the actual train involved, but every train back up the network which may be held or delayed as result of the 1 train being delayed - and he went to great length to explain how that multiplies exponentially!

From the picture, it doesn't look like it would be wise to just "have a go and see what happens." Remember, if a train driver sees activity close to the line that they consider a hazard, they may stop the train and you would likely be pursued for financial recompense.

I know it's all "what ifs", but that looks like a lose your shirt (and maybe your liberty) if it goes pear shaped.

We've had a few like this. The last was a little Ash that would have been next to impossible to get over the fence onto railway land, but the client was a big builder who played by the rules.

The Rail bloke had to ok the method statement, then be on site (sat in his car out of sight of the tree!) for another explanation about how we were going to ensure nothing went wrong.

Don't cut corners, rope stuff even when you know it's un-necessary. It's their game and their rules. Hopefully you get someone on site who appreciates you're not a novice and allows you to do your job without telling you how to.