Help with West of Scotland Rowan Tree

Penguin&teddy

We have a stunning rowan tree in our front garden (north facing, West of Scotland). We moved in 2 years ago at which time a tree surgeon cut it back. It produced berries that year and last and looked healthy. Over the last 3 months the bark on the trunk has begun splitting and feels soggy beneath. In areas on the branches a very firm yellowy plaque like fungus has started growing along the fissures in the bark. As yet it hasn't any signs of leaves or berries growing although its very early in the year. I am worried that the tree might be dying - I've read that Rowan trees don't live very long and this one does look mature although we have no idea how old it is. Nothing else in the front garden has changed. Id be really grateful if you could help me identify whats happening and what we might be able to do to save our tree.

Many thanks

rowan1.jpg.021efeb770e96cd801dfc895fa6eb3f8.jpg

rowan2.jpg.0d9fddf26971d2bd58d8f7af1a8bec29.jpg

rowan3.jpg.c2af6c6140d4a667805f3001dc2efcb3.jpg

It's gone, there is no viable vascular tissue left in the parts of the tree that you are showing us.

The fungus is saprophytic (possibly Bjerkandera adusta, the smokey bracket) and feeding on the dead/dysfunctional wood.

Has there been any ground work carried out around the roots of the tree?

Edited by David Humphries

Can you post a pic of the whole tree? older Rowans like that are very often hollow and/or decayed at ground level. The tree could now be so structurally poor at the base that it could fail during high winds. It also looks as though the branches could break off with that level of decay.

Edited by scotspine1

Thanks so much for the fast reply.

No ground work in the front garden. Ive been racking my brain to think of anything different. The only thing that i could say is that a couple of times I've caught my little boys trying to climb it but nothing else.

The fungus is only on one major branch. As you've probably guessed I don't know a great deal about trees and am probably grasping at straws because it is such a beautiful tree and i can't image the garden without it but if we have someone cut the branch with fungus away might there be a chance of saving the rest of the tree???

Thanks again

Thank you...just nipped out to take a photo!

Just to say there isn't any fungus around the base, those are stones that were there when we moved in and we haven't touched them.

thanks again

It's probably not in any immediate danger of failing at the base as it's a small tree, but it would be worthwhile removing the badly decayed limb and seeing how it looks in the spring when in leaf. If the foliage is sparse across the canopy it's time to remove the tree as it's in severe decline.