CS40 and 41

Blakes 7

I have. Anybody who holds NPTC AE2b will have them i.e. powerline arborists.

I dont think there needed, but I think they are a reasonable indication that someone has had to pass a test in crown reduction + rigging. Personally, I'd like to see NPTC completely replaced by NVQ type qualification, and covering proper pruning techniques as a requirement.

not done them. managed 8 years without them so far. was thinking of doing them this year, mainly for insurance reasons.

totaly right you are only insured to do something you are qualified to im sure an insurance company would use that as a simple excuse not to pay out and if cs40 and 41 dont mater why do ANY at all

Who has their chipper tickets?

I know of someone who injured themselves with a chipper, and the insurance company paid out even though they did'nt have a ticket.

I know of a young lad being run over by a stump grinder, he got a pay out to.

And again I actually worked with a guy who got his arm dragged! into a forestry mulcher again insurance paid out, even though the operator was not formaly trained to use the machine!

Some of the guys I work with did their chipper tickets, took them about half hour to pass, £120 each for 3 lads half a day. All have been using chippers daily for over 5 years.

Also I think i'm right in saying you need to be reassed every 5 years to prove ongoing training!

Don't get me wrong I think training is good, but I can't help thinking its a money spinning excercise. I'd like to see the whole process changed, how I don't know.

I don't have 40 or 41 but feel my rigging is better than some of those who do, as for pruning!

I'd like to do them though

AFAG leaflet 805 will tell all. (http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/forindex.htm) Tried to link direct to the leaflet but the link is not working. From what I can remember 40/41 certification is required to carry out the operations, chipper etc certification just recomended, training required. Therefore chipper operator accidents will get away with it, 40/41 related accidents wont.

I expect the insurer will have a very big grin on his face if you claim and he finds out you are not certified to carry out the work:thrasher: