Cone splitter Or Hydraulic Log Cracker??

County 764

Hi All

I've been thinking of investing in a screw type cone splitter or a log cracker.

Any input from would be appreciated on pros and cons of each. Basically which is best?.

Base units I have available for a splitter include; 8t, 14t & 18t excavators and also the forwarder a Timberjack 1210A.

This is what I've been looking at so far.

Hydraulic Log Cracker

Hydraulic Cone Splitters

Cheers

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks logs

I did see a lasco cone splitter at Wilsons open day but it was just making a mess, I think probably because it was on beech that was rotten and crumbling into bits.

Didn't know RTS had one thought they had a massive chipper now? must of been breaking up big stuff

Haven't seen a lot of crackers working but the screw very much needs an operator who knows what he's doing.

Better on digger than forwarder, screw into end opening it up then pull jib in with butt braced against blade or log across tracks. Spend some time on youtube and you'll see quite a few working

Thanks logs

I did see a lasco cone splitter at Wilsons open day but it was just making a mess, I think probably because it was on beech that was rotten and crumbling into bits.

Didn't know RTS had one thought they had a massive chipper now? must of been breaking up big stuff

think they had it on loan, they do have the big chipper but also trying to go big time into the firewood, they haven't put any firewood on the market that we know about for couple of years keeping it all to themselves.

A cone will never keep up with a cracker, the cracker can bust up sticks/stumps then launch them onto a pile or load the truck using it as a grab. I know the crackers need a bit more maintenance over a period of time with fatigue and cracking in the pincers but they are so much more productive. Brilliant bit of kit.

Bob

saw a cone splitter at RTS yard was buzzing away on a piece of beech and only generating smoke suspect it might have caught fire in the end. Campmuir have a set of woodcracker jaws seemed to be quite good

Wood cracker jaws are good, here at Campmuir logs they are on a13 ton excavator. Had a demo of the screw which was ok and left as much debris as the wood cracker. Just kept wood cracker which has advantage of lifting and moving fire wood about if necessary.