Husky 395xp compression figure

medroberts

Hi Everybody,

Just bought my self a second hand 395xp (9mnths old), I was wondering what would be an acceptable compression figure ? Maybe spud could help me out ? Does a dual port muffler mod make a big difference to the saws performance ? As I believe that they are heavily restricted for this country. Were do you buy these ? The reason I ask these questions is that when I tried it today (24" bar) , I was expecting it to be more powerful in the cut :confused1::confused1: Couldn't see a great deal of difference to my old 056 av sthil:thumbdown::thumbdown:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 056 series, in fairness, were some of the best saws Stihl made in their day. And a Mag II is a beast. Which also means they were a tad heavy at a touch over 20 lbs. Your 395 is about 18 lbs.

Having said that, you should notice a difference. A duel port muffler will make a big difference. You may also want to check the tune of it. Have you had it serviced? Do you know what the compression is at?

The compression is a bit of an issue, you will only get a reading by drop starting the saw as it is a big engine with lots of compression and generally saws that big are not easy to spin over fast enough to get a good reading unless drop started or using the decomp that stops a correct reading.

Having said that, expect 150-170 on a good running engine. The dual port muffler will make a good difference however on an old saw such as your 056, it will have had a pretty free flowing muffler anyway so a muffler mod may not give as big a difference on a more restricted modern machine.

Thanks for everybodys help firstly. Spud-the muffler mod I was asking about was for my husky 395xp, Ive sold my trusty sthil 056av for the 395xp:confused1::confused1: Ive tried hold the saw up by the pull cord and it does creep down under its own weight SLOWLY. Ive attached 2 pics of the sparkplug. One side looks quite dark/black whilst the other side is a lighter brown colour. Having just bought the saw from e-bay , I haven't had the saw serviced. Having tried the saw timber I just thought it was going to have more torque. Iam going to buy a compression tester this morning , so I can let you know the figures:blushing::blushing: Once again thanks for all your knowledge:thumbup::thumbup:

P1010765.JPG.bbb0ac2bf1d68f334145b7237735bcb2.JPG

P1010764.JPG.fcfd07a7e6a4372db977c745b6f62725.JPG

Spud & every body,

Firstly the 395xp is 100% not one of the Chinese copies and is the real Mcoy:thumbup1::thumbup1: I have bought a compression tester, and have attached a pic. After 4-5 drop starts I am getting around the 150psi mark:confused1::confused1: With your knowledge is this enough ? Considering the saw has supposedly only been used twice:blushing::blushing: Any other thoughts much apprieciated............

P1010765.JPG.67d7f6ae2c6b7479b99dac741dbf18e8.JPG

Def do the muffler mod on a 395xp.

As for comparing it against another saw unless your in bigger wood what its meant for its hardly a comparison.

Stick a 357/ms260/398xp/ms880 in a 12 or 15" bit of wood you wont see much difference between any of them. Stick them in much bigger wood you soon start to see the difference.

If the saws barely been used then chances are it could gain 15-20 psi. Normally takes 10 tanks of fuel to get them to there best and bed the rings in.