Climbing kit - Sussex

Shane

We had the most bizarrre thing today.

Had a guy (looked like a dropout from Stonehengers) come and ask me if I wanted to buy his climbing kit for £50.

I responded with the usual 'Bugger off, LOLER issues, life depends on it etc'

and he said its all perfect condition and barely used.

By now we had all gathered to explain that we don't encourage buying dodgy gear.

He then claimed he had all the original receipts so he could prove it was legit.

He looked pissed/drugged but said he would go and get it from his flat for us to look at.

We played along so while he was gone we phoned round the local shops to see if any of them knew of a recent theft - nothing.

Ten minutes later he rocks up with his female friend and an armful of goodies.

Immaculate harness, gleaming carabiners, rope,climbing helmet and says he is desperate for money!

He looked like the usual addict (as did his female thing). I repeated our reluctance to buy second hand then SHE said 'we really need the money, give us £30 '

I asked where they had got it from and that I would never buy anything without the original receipt.

With that he left all the gear with us and they went back home.

Ten minutes later he returned with proper receipts for everything.

My groundie could not get through to the police in the mean time so I made a decision!

I figured if I pay him the £30 there are two possibilities

Best for me... It was his gear and I get a bargain from a desperate drug addict but he is happy - but I have lost some moral high ground - though he willingly sold his stuff to feed his habit.

Worst case scenario.. It is stolen and I have received stolen goods.

BUT if I can find the original owner, then at least they will be re-united with their kit.

That's the reason for this message.

If anyone has recently lost a set of climbing kit (though he has given me matching receipts for it all - so how did he get them?) please let me know the make of harness, karabiners, helmet and rope - along with some proof of ownership and I will get them to you.

It cost me £30. I'm not celebrating because, even if it all legit, the poor sod has descended from well equipped tree climber to fallen addict.

If its not legit - hopefully I can find the rightful owner.

IIRC Andy GAle was turned over recently, PM me Andy with details of any climbing kit you lost in that 'kin raid.

Lets keep it tight out there

PS - Im not going to use the kit till I am fully confident of its origin.

Shane

Sounds like they been scamming credit cards quite a commen thing for them to do getting receipts and selling on.

I think I can say I know you well enough to say you did the right thing.:001_smile:

Not disagreeing, but surely they'd buy electronic goods/ phones etc, buying tree stuff is a bit niche for the discerning smack head maybe?

Ive just had a look on google maps at the address on the harness receipt (which was paid for with cash) and behold, its 3-4 minutes walk from where we were working.

This lot reeks of a poor desperate social fallout rather than a light fingered fellow.

On closer inspection, the carabiner ident numbers actually match those on the receipt too.

Blimey!

So what make harness rope etc did you get then

I don't consider them mine till I'm certain all is straight.

It would be unwise to publish an accurate list yet as anyone could just say

'Yeah that is all my stuff'

I looked on Arbsafe but nothing anywhere near.

Thats fair comment

I don't consider them mine till I'm certain all is straight.

It would be unwise to publish an accurate list yet as anyone could just say

'Yeah that is all my stuff'

I looked on Arbsafe but nothing anywhere near.