splicing tools

MattyF

A yacht chandelry near me sells a fid set for about 40 quid, it has a full range of sizes.

And just found this on ebay it looks like the same set. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Selma-set-of-4-doublebraid-rope-splicing-fids-tools-fid_W0QQitemZ330231270975QQihZ014QQcategoryZ123703QQcmdZViewItem

Jamie would be better able to advise on whats best.

I've got a 5 set of them. nice but they can catch strands in the rope if you're not careful.

I also have a tube of KY in my splicing kit for working on old used rope... that gem is for people who mail me used rope asking for a new eye splice.

Jamie

Hi Matty

I used the Selma fids for many years before being fortunate enough to discover both the splicing wand & also the wire fids as already mentioned. I use both when splicing double braid although just wire are required. Depending on which rope names you intend splicing, or rather how tight or loose the construction is the wand can be used on its own but this is not easy with small diameters or tight weaves.

I'm hoping to create an area on our website for splicing tools in the near future. I think the tides are slowly turning back to more people wanting to be able to splice their own ropes. Which will, hopefully, encourage many more equipment inspectors(LOLER) to get a grasp on splice anatomy as it does so frustrate me when I hear of climbers gear being failed because it's been self spliced. The principal behind it being that a self spliced rope cannot possibly have met or meet CE/EN standards. I feel that the truth behind it is that the inspectors knowledge lacks & the competancy to inspect rope splices is surely questionable.

Cheers

Nod

Very true nod. I aim to do the LOLER certificate but i can't understand how an inspector can assess a splice without knowing how they are made (i know we have spoken about this in the past Nod).

But then again there can be a subtle difference between a safe splice and an incorectly executed splice.

Jamie

Very true nod. I aim to do the LOLER certificate but i can't understand how an inspector can assess a splice without knowing how they are made (i know we have spoken about this in the past Nod).

But then again there can be a subtle difference between a safe splice and an incorectly executed splice.

Jamie

I have on a couple occasions passed self spliced ropes with disclaimers.

A splicing course is on my list this year as it's yet another huge hole in my knowledge. Made even more noticable after chating to Nod this weekend

Hi Matty

I used the Selma fids for many years before being fortunate enough to discover both the splicing wand & also the wire fids as already mentioned. I use both when splicing double braid although just wire are required. Depending on which rope names you intend splicing, or rather how tight or loose the construction is the wand can be used on its own but this is not easy with small diameters or tight weaves.

I'm hoping to create an area on our website for splicing tools in the near future. I think the tides are slowly turning back to more people wanting to be able to splice their own ropes. Which will, hopefully, encourage many more equipment inspectors(LOLER) to get a grasp on splice anatomy as it does so frustrate me when I hear of climbers gear being failed because it's been self spliced. The principal behind it being that a self spliced rope cannot possibly have met or meet CE/EN standards. I feel that the truth behind it is that the inspectors knowledge lacks & the competancy to inspect rope splices is surely questionable.

Cheers

Nod

So very true Nod, great to talk to Hugh,( Is that his name?) and watch him splice and I don't blame him for not wanting to put a eye splice in my old rope at the show.

Splice construction was not even covered on my loler course.