Splicing - Does it need to be certified?

Rowan the Bruce

Hi all been away for a while and I'm needing to get some splicing done - lanyard, footlock strop, climbing line and friction saver. I called a guy from the local chandlers in Falmouth and he said to bring the rope down and he'd see if he can do them. He's been splicing marine ropes for 20 years but says he ain't certified but can test them. For LOLER inspections would I need them to be done by someone who can sign a bit of paper? I'd love to go on one of Nods courses though, where are they held normally?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all been away for a while and I'm needing to get some splicing done - lanyard, footlock strop, climbing line and friction saver. I called a guy from the local chandlers in Falmouth and he said to bring the rope down and he'd see if he can do them. He's been splicing marine ropes for 20 years but says he ain't certified but can test them. For LOLER inspections would I need them to be done by someone who can sign a bit of paper? I'd love to go on one of Nods courses though, where are they held normally?

Here we go.

If your marine guy splices your ropes and you get them inspected by a LOLER examiner chances are he or she will pass the splices if they are correctly spliced and that particular examiner knows about splicing, or, is even ignorant of splicing but will pass it because they don't know any better, but...there are some who feel that this type of splicing alters the original construction of the rope, the original construction would have been tested and given it's CE mark but that original construction would not have had a splice on the end.

I'm confusing myself.

Edited by High Scale

yeah! thanks High Scale. I have heard of a loler inspector who was probably ignorant of splices cutting the spliced eye off a new england rope because the inner core wasn't through the splice, done by a large reputable arb supplier. Now if the outer core is only spliced losing x amount of mbs, is it still stronger than a bowline, now I am confusing myself.

You can tell I know f a about splicing ha! ha!

It really annoyes me when someone asks me about certified splices and im unable to give them a deffinative answer:sneaky2:

Yes you are altering PPE and therefore the CE mark is void. But you can buy a plain end rope and stick a knot in the end and thats fine!! The knot doesn't need to be certified does it!!

A splice is just a complicated knot IMO.

I splice my own ropes and i also splice for other people but until there's some form of competency qualification this argument is going to keep raging.

Top and bottom of it is you probably wont get a certified splice and it'll come down to your LOLER inspector. If your lucky he'll know a bit about splicing and pass it but you may be unlucky and they'll fail it just because they dont know what there lucking at!!

yeah! thanks High Scale. I have heard of a loler inspector who was probably ignorant of splices cutting the spliced eye off a new england rope because the inner core wasn't through the splice, done by a large reputable arb supplier. Now if the outer core is only spliced losing x amount of mbs, is it still stronger than a bowline, now I am confusing myself.

You can tell I know f a about splicing ha! ha!

On 16 strand ropes such as the new england hi-vee the strength is in the jacket and the core is there to give the rope profile. Manufacturers dont remove the core or taper there splices which is why alot of them are lumpy and miss shapen.

A properly constructed hand splice is far superior to a manufactured splice.

Oh yeah a hand splice is a tad stronger than a bowline!! haha