European Tree of The Year....The Brimmon Oak

sean

The Brimmon Oak for me would not only be a worthy winner of The European Tree The Year but would also be just reward for its owner and Rob Mcbride for their tireless campaigning to the Welsh Government which resulted in the course of a bypass being moved to ensure the retention of this tree and preserve it for many generations to come to enjoy.

At this torrid time for our nation's trees from developers, councils, governments, high speed rail links etc etc The Brimmon Oak could stand as a beacon of hope for people throughout the UK as they slog on with their campaigns to preserve solitary trees, street trees and woodlands from destruction.

Last year the UK's interest in this competition was pitiful with our entries struggling to get 4 figure votes whereas trees across Europe were registering up to 50'000 votes. Please vote this year. You can vote for two trees and there is an English entry but personally I would love the Brimmon to win for all the reasons above. Please get all your friends and family to vote also and get the nation backing this remarkable tree.

Below is the Brimmon Oak' s owner giving some background history to

'The first talks I was involved in about the bypass the brimmon oak was being chopped down, managed to change the planners minds about this and they altered the route ,was still concerned and asked them to peg the route in the tree area and the markers were just 3.5m from the trees trunk and I knew this would destroy the trees root system ,we then had our own tree survey and arboriculture impact assessment and I went to the public inquiry with this evidence ,talked in defence of the tree for 2 hours and then it was a waiting game for the inspectors report and we were unsuccessful ,new evidence came to my attention that Rob Mcbride had registered Brimmon oak with the woodland trust back in 2009 ,I then got in touch with Rob Mcbride and he has been my mentor since, and told me to start this facebook campaign and I am not alone anymore in this fight ,we then were advised by our local AM William Powell to appeal to the WAG petitions committee with a online petition and 4731 people signed

A letter from transport minister Edwina Hart to Mid and and West Wales AM William Powel, confirmed there would be a 15 metre exclusion zone around the tree after evidence put forward by Mr Jones and campaigner Rob McBride.

The zone will help to preserve the tree, to the delight of Mr Jones.

He said: “To begin with I was a lone warrior on this, but we have had great support and have managed to save the tree.

“It is preserving a piece of history for the town, and my family history.”

Mr Jones believed the roots would be damaged if the road was not diverted 15 metres away, The tree now has a 15m TPA and is protected by a circular fence.'

Register your vote here

European Tree of the Year - Home page

6c78fdc6734b42aceed7a526eb5038d5.jpg3517d17584213a9f85f65a295e244b54.jpga5a8af2cec22efa363f578f4a58856e0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

Edited by sean
Change title