Has to be a scam

Edsoul

If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. Offer to pick up and pay cash and see if you get a response. You have already been in contact I assume as you have more detail than in the advert. If he makes an excuse like he is on duty and his wife does not like strangers turning up then just walk away.

Avoid avoid avoid.

I think the drill (excuse the pun) is a story about him being based overseas, so you pay him the money electronically and then he'll send you to where the goods are being stored. You turn up at 'his barracks' and they tell you to do one as they've never heard of 'flight corporal Wiggins'

This is it , in a nutshell :biggrin:

Oil rigs, Scotland and posted to Germany also feature in this scam. I have even heard of pay by paypal and the buyer ending up out of pocket as the "seller" asked for payment as a gift rather than an invoice. Another scam is on Pistonheads, similar performance , but vehicle will be delivered after payment to a secure Pistonheads site. There is no site and Pistonheads dont accept money

I too replied to a Gumtree ad for a tophandle Stihl as it wasn't too far away. All sorts of excuses as to why I couldn't view and pay cash. Texted me then turned phone off so messages I sent were never delivered. She (?) even offered to send it via Parcel Force before paying saying that the driver would be prepared to wait whilst I checked it out.

No delivery drivers will ever do this! Mate works for Parcel Force and he's heard of loads of scams like this and more complicated and quite believable sounding ones.

Has had customers screaming down the phone at him when their paid for goods don't turn up - they don't believe that they have been scammed with a non existant tracking number and that the goods don't actually exist.