what size of hydraulic oil tank

Graham w

I know little about tank sizes but that sounds a bit small, that's circulating nearly 3 times a minute and I would think you need to consider the heat of the oil on a small tank.

But I stand to be corrected.

there should be loads of oil in the system theres lots of large rams, motors and a crane to power

From my dim and distant memory the tank size (ideally) should be 3 x the pump flow rate where possible. Obviously the physical tank size restrictions will need factoring.

If the tank is too small overheating will be an issue and there is a significant chance of pumping air bubbles (where the fluid has returned) back into the pump causing cavitation therefore pump damage.

I think (just my thought) if space is an issue or there is a significant environmental consideration, I would try a 120-150l tank (still very small for your system) and fit a flow diffuser to the tank return and some oil cooling.

The actual size tank you require is around 250l and if it is working hard would function more reliably with oil cooling.

It looks like its going to be an impressive project!!

You will need to make sure the volume of the tank is 2 times pump flow and have enough spare capacity for all the large cylinders when they are fully retracted (volume of cylinder end - rod end). If you have a lot of large cylinders this could mount up to a large volume of oil. Your looking at a large tank! Are you going to pressurise the tank. And is the tank going to be mounted higher than the pump. If not the the swash plate pumps don't like to have any restrictions in the suction line or they can draw air/cavitate this would destroy the pump smartish. Is this a firewood processor your building?? If so keep us posted

there is a charge pump to the rear of the main pump. the tank(s) will be mounted directly above the pump i planned to make a hydraulic power pack that was portable hence the compact tank size but looks like it will be too heavy and bulky. the main use is to power a processor, but dont expect to see anything soon because its a huge build

having just gone through same question of tank volume to cure heat/flow issues with a good hydraulics company their recommendation was get flow rate of pump per minute and x 3 for tank volume.

i was very unsure for a log splitter that had been on a small tank for years but wow the difference in amazing. so would always go x 3 now on volume.