Stump Grinders

ReubenHayes

We are looking at purchasing a new stump grinder and could really do with finding out how people get on with them.

No sure what grinder to go for, have used Rayco's in the past, but what have others used?

Will need to fit through garden gates etc so will need to be pedestrian.

Any help on the subject would be great.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In town, most garden gates are 2'6'' - or 29 inches allowing for the jams.

Remember any sort of tight turn or waste pipe down the side of the house can cause access issues.

I have an RG13 (13hp) which is 25 inches wide. We have carried it into gardens where access is really tight - so very good for that, just a PITA as it's so slow and clogs up with mud.

My other one is a predator 450 - 29 inches wide so fits through most gates, but not all.

It is 25hp so just works on through mud without slowing.

I would rather use the 450 and maybe remove the wheels to get in. The RG13 's wheels are two piece so if you take them off they fly apart and you have to re-inflate them after you put them back on. The 450s are 'proper' wheels.

Remember, a big macho machine is faster (if it will get in there) but absolutely useless if it will not. There is a tracked predator which is narrow but is still limited on tight turns.

Have a look on every job you do and see just how many gates are what width.

I've got a Rayco RG13II and a larger 28hp Perdator R26 tracked machine. i find them both to be good machines and wouldn't be without either.

The smaller Rayco grinder does frustrate me sometimes on larger stumps but thats because i know how much easer it is with the bigger predator one I've got, which will also fit through the same gate as the Rayco! but if ive only got 1 or 2 smaller stumps will take the rayco to save having to take 2 vehicles.

also with the smaller 13hp ones you can lift them on raised beds and up steps etc

also i used to have a 13hp Husquvarna one that was totally useless as the clutch keeper overheating! even after replacing the clutch so i would avoid them personally.

below is a link to my stump grinding page on my website with a few pics on there.....

Harts Tree Services | Stump Grinding

I run a carlton sp2010, very strong machine. done a few 50"plus stumps with it and it keeps on going. Access is 29" as per most this size, but recently been hiring a fsi st20, small machine, very effective, and very narrow, google it, many people are raving about fsi and durability etc around my area.

We run a Carlton SP2010 i can get most places with it, it blasts stumps out like they are made of marsh mellow, Razor teeth are a ba@t*rd to sharpen, good machine. However them bandit sidewinder's ar next on my list as it pivots looks real easy compared to my carlton that is hard work when grinding.

We are looking at purchasing a new stump grinder and could really do with finding out how people get on with them.

No sure what grinder to go for, have used Rayco's in the past, but what have others used?

Will need to fit through garden gates etc so will need to be pedestrian.

Any help on the subject would be great.

I would like to speak with you ref the Bandit HB20N, this is now 25" width with dual wheels as std, 25hp & choice of teeth. Unfortunately there is no availability until January on new machines as all machines arriving are already sold.