Worth trying this Beech?

Arbtech Tree Services

Dropped this on Friday and would like to have a go on Tuesday. Current set up is 36" Alaskan but have a 72" rail set turning up tomorrow, saw is MS880 with standard 48" bar.

Question is which one to have a go at? Butt is 6'4" diameter and the rot goes about 5' up I think, upper stem next to it is 43" but not sure of all the limbs coming off it.

Any thoughts please.

Regards,

Steve.

066.jpg.aa47e15aaad007841dcc13c13953164d.jpg

057.jpg.57736b83d2e8422a1337a68b70e4e73b.jpg

That but in the photo with the saw on it I would mill that just take 2 cuts and see what you get I bet that looks cool when milled ideal table top

Cheers Mark

Just not worth it Mark. With the volume of sound wood above, you're better focusing on that and firewooding the rest. Of all the viable hardwood timbers, beech has the lowest value.

For a commercial mill , clearly not worth it, for an money making enthusiast with time to spare that outer 8 to 10 inches of good wood is worth slicing off perhaps all round the tree. {Like American grade sawing.}

Could yield a couple of gorgeous figured 2 inch deep, 3ft wide boards from beneath the sap & above the rot on all 4 sides, I would guess?

A lot of work for 4 or 5 potentially nice boards, though.

But At that size that's probably the most stable prime cut other than quarter sawn?

Then just leave the middle to rot away.... it wont take long. :biggrin:

Not likely to be very stable as crown cut. It will be inclined to cup fairly seriously.

If it were the only length there, then perhaps you'd take a few slices off it, but given that there is a reasonable second length (I'd probably mill it), that's what I'd put the time into and I'd firewood the main butt. Remember, it's just as much work (and usually more) to convert a crap log into boards for only a fraction of the return. Stick to the best logs and you'll have far fewer issues in the log term.