026 help:(

div_h

bonjour , my dads dropped off his spare saw into my garage and says can you do something with this? eh burn it!:blushing: its a cow to start he says and when it gets going it revs up fine but when you start cutting it bogs down and cuts out, it has a good spark,compression and good fuel. its an old saw but well serviced. looks good for a 1998 model. any help would be greatful:thumbup:

Comment ca va....

The bogging could be so many things - firstly poor compression can lead to low power.

Other reasons can be fuel related - fuel filter clogged, fuel pipe softening, carb pumping sectiongauze filter clogged, worn pumping gasket, holed diaphragm, gummed up jets, dirty plug/air filter, badly adjusted carb, air leak..................and on and on - may even be heavy carbon deposits in the exhaust port.

If you want it looked at, PM me and I will give you an idea of costs.

What PSI do you consider good OP?

Using the gunsons Hi gauge with the blue packaging, anything over 135psi but an engine in good all round condition should pull 150psi and anything 160psi - 170 is very good.

A decent 026 will pull 150psi with this gauge - my 346xp will pull 170psi

A saw should be fueled and cold when testing - the saw can be on fast idle and will need 3-5 pulls to get a measurement - 100psi on the first pull is decent.

A saw will run at 120psi but will be pretty crap all round.

I was once told that a 254 I had purchased had good compression - it only had 1/2 a piston ring and fell to earth like a stone when doing the poor mans comp check:001_rolleyes:

"Using the gunsons Hi gauge with the blue packaging, anything over 135psi but an engine in good all round condition should pull 150psi and anything 160psi - 170 is very good.

A saw should be fueled and cold when testing - the saw can be on fast idle and will need 3-5 pulls to get a measurement - 100psi on the first pull is decent.

A saw will run at 120psi but will be pretty crap all round"

...yes I am aware of that, but I was asking the OP.

"Using the gunsons Hi gauge with the blue packaging, anything over 135psi but an engine in good all round condition should pull 150psi and anything 160psi - 170 is very good.

A saw will run at 120psi but will be pretty crap all round"

...yes I am aware of that, but I was asking the OP.

Sorry:blushing: