Re Chipper advice please

Chipperclown

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bigger machines are heavier and not towable (without extra tests) by recently qualified drivers. If you are really into appeasing VOSA they also have more noseweight on the towbar so reduce the effective legal payload.

In terms of processing, the bigger ones are better value for money.

It's a weight thing, under 750 kg you don't need a trailer licence or something (I'm pretty old so it doesn't matter to me)

Moving a bigger chipper by hand can be a PITA.

A lot of tree surgeons rarely need to chip anything bigger than 6"

You're right though, there are some cracking second hand deals on bigger chippers Atm

I disagree with ga - get the bigger chipper if you can tow it legally. They are built heavier (ie stronger, not down to a weight) and will increase your productivity massively. You can give up on snedding - if you can drag the brash to the machine it will eat it! TWs hold there money like nothing else - older Greenmechs can be picked up really cheaply and blow their competitors out of the water! Today I've been working with a friend's GM 1623 and have been amazed how good it is. It is a 10 year old machine that has a 6 inch x 9 inch feed hole (something TW and all the others have only just started to offer) - you can get these on wheels under 750kg for a lot less than an equivalent TW150 and they are twice the machine IMO.

See In my opinion that's like buying a 7 seater car with a wife and two kids just because you can and it was within budget.

But yes a letter box infeed will cut down on time snedding out no end.

If you compare the TW150 to a 1623 GM you'll get a lot more awkward material through the GM. Cheaper too.

I used to sell GM and loved demoing against a TW because of the letterbox infeed.

Weight isn't often just cut from the chassis either. Most 750kg units if Kubota will run a V1105 over a V1505. Same HP but a lighter 3 cylinder turbo opposed to a NA 4 pot as found in say a ST6 Forst. I worked for a GM main dealer and they are big in the 750kg market, never personally experienced a failed chassis or severe structural malfunction.

Weight isn't often just cut from the chassis either. Most 750kg units if Kubota will run a V1105 over a V1505. Same HP but a lighter 3 cylinder turbo opposed to a NA 4 pot as found in say a ST6 Forst. I worked for a GM main dealer and they are big in the 750kg market, never personally experienced a failed chassis or severe structural malfunction.

Interesting post, I run a 2003 tw and it has a 4pot v1505 with the detuned 32 hp engine, (I've never really worked out why they did that)

Most 1505's are around 33hp but I've seen them in commercial mowers upto 37/38hp.

Some 'Inlines' are 4 cylinder. Our new Jensen A530 750kg is a 1105 turbo 3 pot. I've found the turbo lumps get back on the boil quicker than a normally aspirated unit which in turn gets the no stress recovered quicker and chipping again.

But some people prefer a calmer NA 4 cylinder. Horses for courses