Mobile sawmill needed

marlon

Hi all

I'm looking for a mobile mill to come to our yard near luton airport to cut around 20 large ash and oak stems into sleepers

Sizes are from two - four feet diameter

Large machines on site to load, turn and unload as needed

Does anyone have any contacts/recommendations?

Cheers

I really wouldn't want to do this with an Alaskan - it comes into its own for milling single trees or in very inaccessible sites but is not likely to be cost-competitive for large numbers when access and handling is not a problem.

What size 'sleepers' do you need? Delabodge (Clive) has a contact with a swing-mill which would be very efficient if the cut depth is sufficient.

Otherwise, it would be a bandsaw mill. I don't have any contacts in that area with a portable mill, but given that you have on-site handling equipment, it may be cost effective to ship them offsite for milling, using an artic. Helmdon sawmill near Northampton was recommended for this when someone was enquiring a while back about milling a large oak butt:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/alaskan-mill/47539-large-oak-mill.html

Final point, in case you aren't aware, ash has extremely poor exterior durability - I wouldn't even want to count on a sleeper lasting 3yrs with ground contact. This may not matter though, depending on what you want them for.

Alec

Hi, I be willing to do it for you, got a Lucas 830 so can cut 8.5 X 8.5" or anything smaller. Can also slab them up if preferred. I'm based in Winslow as Steve mentioned(thanks for thinking of me bud) so only about 45mins away. Call me on 07760263686 if interested.

Thanks

James

Thanks guys for taking the time to respond, had an early night so only just read them.

Interesting about the ash not lasting too long, the sleepers are for going around my new house I'm building to restrain the garden height which is a couple of feet higher.

All the stems are from the site so I want to try to re use them to build stuff rather than just going into my firewood business,

So maybe I'll use the oak for the sleepers (cut at 10" X 5") the ash could be cut into 4" X 2" and 6" X 2" to build the summerhouse/shed

Any suggestions on how to treat the oak to try and stop the black staining which I'm sure will come through the oak?

Thanks in advance, I don't get chance to look on here a lot so apologies if I don't respond straight away

Cheers

Oak will only black stain badly if in contact with ferrous metals. Will weather and grey off if left to its own devices which would be my choice.

I could cut oak sleepers for you at 8.5 X 5 or 8 X 4 if you wanted them to equate. But not 10x5 without it being a pita. Could cut the ash as well no problem. Definitely don't use ash outside it's worse than pine.

Call me any time to talk about milling. Best not to do it till September anyway.

James