I just got a speeding ticket!

njc110381

Well it looks like the camera van that I went past the other week picked me up. 50mph in a 40 zone... Got to do a speed awareness course!

Me in my sheltered life wisdom thought I would get off of it with a letter I sent in. I was miles from home in an area I'd never been in, got lost on some back roads and ended up joining a large rural road from a trading estate. I clearly remember thinking as I pulled out that the t*** in a van parked up on his phone was blocking my view of pulling out and it turns out he was - of the little limit sign! I pulled out and gave it some right foot up to 50... I didn't know of a limit but by looking at the road it was either going to be a national or a 50 so I held back a bit. Next sign I came to had a camera van next to it - it was 40 so I backed off but it was too late. I went back to the junction but the tit on the phone had gone and there was the sign.:001_rolleyes:

With no evidence I'm stuck. I'm not the sort to make excuses but in this case I'm feeling really hard done by! I've had three close mates killed in car accidents so speeding is something I really tend to avoid. Now I've got to sit and listen to someone tell me all about the dangers of speeding (like I don't know) and pay £80 for it too. I'm well miffed! :thumbdown:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solicitors give a free 30 minute consultation so you can get a professional opinion on how likely a court would be to accept your version of events.

Did you get 3 points? For £80 (plus lost earnings...), I'd be tempted to let it pass, but points can be more of a problem.

Very unlucky, by the way.

I already tried that route. No picture of the van blocking the limit sign means that I don't have any supporting evidence so there's not a hope of legally contesting it. If it wasn't so far away I'd have got a mate to park his tranny in the way and take a picture of that but it would cost more in diesel to get us there and back than the course is going to be!

I'll just put it down to bad luck. It's the first ticket I've ever had in 13 years and there are no points if I take the course. I'm sure pretty much every ticket issued gets a half arsed response to try to explain it so I fully understand the position of the police. A mate of mine is actually in traffic for that force, I wonder if it was him that booked me?!

Apparently the speed awareness courses are very educational, and you can actually learn a lot about yours and others driving from them. A mate of mine had to attend after doing 36 in a 30, he reckoned the course has made him a lot more aware of how he drives, not just the speed he drives at.

Apparently the speed awareness courses are very educational, and you can actually learn a lot about yours and others driving from them. A mate of mine had to attend after doing 36 in a 30, he reckoned the course has made him a lot more aware of how he drives, not just the speed he drives at.

I had to do a similar one about 12 years ago - not speed related as such, can't remember what it was called - and agree with that. The morning was all about defensive driving (useful ways of thinking about other road users and where you fit into the picture) and the afternoon was spent driving with an ex-Police instructor. It was expensive (£250) but I'd been a bit of a naughty boy and it saved me from points. And I found it useful.

If there's no points then for 25% over the limit I think you've done pretty well. I picked up 3 points a couple of years ago and was livid at first (I'd had 11 years point free), but ultimately I was over the speed limit, excuses or not.

I'd have done the course if I was offered it but had to settle for the fixed penalty and points - that in itself has made me more aware of my speed coming into town etc so the course shouldn't be too bad.

What's annoyed me the most though in my case was that a few months after, where I was caught now goes 60, 40, 30 (rather than 60, 30) and I would have then been in the 40 instead of in the 30 and been OK.

Well it looks like the camera van that I went past the other week picked me up. 50mph in a 40 zone... Got to do a speed awareness course!

Me in my sheltered life wisdom thought I would get off of it with a letter I sent in. I was miles from home in an area I'd never been in, got lost on some back roads and ended up joining a large rural road from a trading estate. I clearly remember thinking as I pulled out that the t*** in a van parked up on his phone was blocking my view of pulling out and it turns out he was - of the little limit sign! I pulled out and gave it some right foot up to 50... I didn't know of a limit but by looking at the road it was either going to be a national or a 50 so I held back a bit. Next sign I came to had a camera van next to it - it was 40 so I backed off but it was too late. I went back to the junction but the tit on the phone had gone and there was the sign.:001_rolleyes:

With no evidence I'm stuck. I'm not the sort to make excuses but in this case I'm feeling really hard done by! I've had three close mates killed in car accidents so speeding is something I really tend to avoid. Now I've got to sit and listen to someone tell me all about the dangers of speeding (like I don't know) and pay £80 for it too. I'm well miffed! :thumbdown:

HI MATE sorry to hear of your ticket if you do a lot of miles a year get road angel vantage it let you no were the VANS ARE JOBS A GOODEN :thumbup1:but you need to slow down jon :thumbup:

I can top that.... I have just this morning received a court summons for speeding in January!!

I was doing 56 on a duel carriageway 50 zone! Which I don't mind the points or fine as I was 'making progress'

My problem is, today is the first I've heard about it and I've got to attend court on the 6th of sept as I've failed to inform them who was driving!! Which is a bit hard when today is the first I heard of it!!

So I spoke to them as soon as I opened the letter address to ms Wilkins not Mr Wilkins to find out what was going on!

So they had sent out a fine at some point but I can genuinely say I never received it, as I would have paid up and taken the points no problem

I've sent a guilty plea to the speeding but a not guilty plea for the failure to inform them of the driver!!

Let's see what happens :-/

sometimes you just get bitten!

I can top that.... I have just this morning received a court summons for speeding in January!!

I was doing 56 on a duel carriageway 50 zone! Which I don't mind the points or fine as I was 'making progress'

My problem is, today is the first I've heard about it and I've got to attend court on the 6th of sept as I've failed to inform them who was driving!! Which is a bit hard when today is the first I heard of it!!

So I spoke to them as soon as I opened the letter address to ms Wilkins not Mr Wilkins to find out what was going on!

So they had sent out a fine at some point but I can genuinely say I never received it, as I would have paid up and taken the points no problem

I've sent a guilty plea to the speeding but a not guilty plea for the failure to inform them of the driver!!

Let's see what happens :-/

sometimes you just get bitten!

I dont want to be the profit of doom but I had a similar experience, when you go to court for non declaration the speeding offence is not pursued. I got 6 points and £400 fine and apparently that is the norm. Sorry chap and good luck