Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forestry and Woodland management Discuss all aspects of forestry. Discuss ecological issues and laws pertaining to woodland management.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-05-12   #1 (permalink)

wage per tonne for felling sitka spruce

whats the average wage per tonne for felling and snedding spruce.how many trees per tonne? 6-15 inch diameter?
Old 14-05-12   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, User formerly known as kjames

Re: wage per tonne for felling sitka spruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtreeservice View Post
whats the average wage per tonne for felling and snedding spruce.how many trees per tonne? 6-15 inch diameter?
Lets work this one backwards , day rate £50to£70 (for work in the woods) Depending on ground level conditions and topography lets say you can fell and clean 5 to 7 tones per day then i think you must be some where around the £10 a ton mark, don't all jump on me , yes its been a long time since i did it, and yes i'm sure its still rubbish money DBH 6-15inch, I'd say about 3 to 5 trees to a Ton. But as i said DON'T ALL JUMP ON ME, the man just wont's an idea.

Last edited by Jesse; 14-05-12 at 12:25 AM.. Reason: Forgot to say about tree numbers.
Old 14-05-12   #3 (permalink)

£bit low for self employed I' say that was; £90-£100 so long as they're getting the product down. £5/m3 I was paying last year.

God Save the Queen.

www.redlineoil.com
Old 14-05-12   #4 (permalink)

thanks.im waiting for a day rate at the moment and 50-70 per day isnt sounding too great at the moment when you factor in the price of 5 litres of fuel now,and then youve got your oil + sitka as you know have a lot of snedding work to be done so time is not on your side as far as productivity so hopefully it wont come back as paid per tonne.
Old 14-05-12   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012, 2013

as a day rate supplying all own equipment transport and oil fuel ect £100
if as some guys only work on pice work calculate on that or whote its costing you per day
to complete a days work and whote you need to get a wage
the last time i did any thinnings it was about for first £9-£13 per m3/ ton second thinnings £7-£8
clearfell £5-£7 depending on the size of the produce a bit vague but you have got to give it a go to get a realistic produce amount to base your price on
Old 14-05-12   #6 (permalink)

First thinnigs were £14.00 per tonne 10 years ago, £11.00 for second, £7.00 per metre for following the harvesters cutting the singles.
Any decent cutter should be on 150.00 per day minimum what with fuel / oil / vehicle costs and of course don't forget the little incidentals like Tax & National insurance.
If some parasite offers you 50 to 100 per day to an experienced cutter, you are entitled to beat them with a stick then let them cut it themselves.
Old 14-05-12   #7 (permalink)

Quick Question;
Am I correct in thinking a lot of climbers / tree care companies are diversifying into commercial forestry, if so why?
Old 14-05-12   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson12 View Post
First thinnigs were £14.00 per tonne 10 years ago, £11.00 for second, £7.00 per metre for following the harvesters cutting the singles.
Any decent cutter should be on 150.00 per day minimum what with fuel / oil / vehicle costs and of course don't forget the little incidentals like Tax & National insurance.
If some parasite offers you 50 to 100 per day to an experienced cutter, you are entitled to beat them with a stick then let them cut it themselves.
My feelings exactly, although the beating with the stick bit may be a little extreme.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
Old 14-05-12   #9 (permalink)

Yes sorry probably a little extreme........better using a breaking bar !
Old 14-05-12   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
You might be right but it AINT GONNA HAPPEN! Forestry economics simply aint there yet. Piece rate bonkers cutter maybe but otherwise, dream on.

Quote:
Quick Question;
Am I correct in thinking a lot of climbers / tree care companies are diversifying into commercial forestry, if so why?
YES!!! And they are making a massive BALLS UP of it. I subbed to one such shower of crap last year and they still owe me £12k since their so called forester buggered up the timber sale. Note to Arb Firms - f off out of forestry.

God Save the Queen.

www.redlineoil.com