Reward Fund for Coast Redwood Native Plant Habitat Damage / MD Vaden

mdvaden

Hopefully a few others understand some importance of this. But some pristine coast redwood habitat is being ruined by an anonymous person using the internet.

I set up a gofundme page at:

Link > https://www.gofundme.com/c5kgvbtw

Although one donation may come this way directly, someone committed to a $1000 donation earlier today. I know the person and that they are good for it.

I link to a page explaining it in detail from gofundme. But here's the page link anyway to show how fast some redwood forest is degrading.

Link > Cypber Herbicide Attack. Killing Native Plants in the Coast Redwood Forest

There is a Part II goal for the fund. That's burl poaching etc.. The past couple years, a reward was used to help find the person doing so much damage poaching in several ancient redwood parks. I would like to channel contributions that way too. But finding out the ID of the Cyber problem is a top priority until 2017

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mario, can I ask what you are able to do should you fund the culprit behind this?

If they are found out, there are at least two courses of action. And both, or either, are worth the cost.

We can know whether they work or network among parks staff. Or, have access to the research and discovery network. if they have access, like a "mole", they can be set apart, protecting almost all future discoveries, files, research projects and archaeological sites.

Several feel someone hacked computers. And its known that several people were sent message phishing for their IP addresses.

its unknown if they would be persuaded to stop their activity even if they are known. But even if what they did was not legal, the breach of ethics is so significant, their professional futures may hinge on whether or not they change.

The goal is not punishment. But trying to ascertain who is trustworthy around sensitive information. And, letting someone take responsibility for escalated damage at some of the most amazing redwood locations.

Due to the nature of the problem, the possible solution may have to go underground where the park's, Save the Redwoods League, ect., cannot fight the problem on their usual playing field. Otherwise I wouldn't bother with this.

Edited by mdvaden

I'm a little confused on what you are trying to achieve?

Are you trying to stop someone telling people where to see redwoods?

Did you read the two pages and links?

If its possible to stop them, that would be attempted. What they are doing is technically legal. But its so unethical, they have gone into hiding almost entirely. The best outcome would be to get them to stop. If that's not possible, it is completely worth knowing who they are, because that clarifies who they are not too.

The fact that someone who knows a lot about this just committed $1000, should send a clear signal the goal is well worth finding out. The damage has been dramatic.

Without an identity, it means resisting the final product of the problem which have no fingerprints. If we can get an identity, it means the problem can be dealt with at its source because they would need to reason and negotiate with a lot more people.

Edited by mdvaden

Mario, can I ask what you are able to do should you fund the culprit behind this?

The nature of fighting this problem is so unique to handle and explain. But I think I figured out another way to translate it a way arborists can understand.

Suppose 50 of you guys just got your saws stolen or business damaged in some way. Suppose the person who caused it didn't do anything illegal. Suppose they simply acquired the combinations or codes or password for all 50 of you folks and let a bunch of people know the means of access.

Wouldn't it be nice to reverse the damage? Sure.

What if the person could not be caused to withdraw what they did? Would it be worth knowing who they are, if there's a strong chance they have access enabling them to do this to all 50 of you again, or anybody else? Because its about 99% chance knowing the identity would expose how all of you lost your stuff.

Hope that helps explain to some degree.