Woodworking chisels.... different types for what jobs?

SteveA

Hi,

I'm looking to get some basic chisels for basic timber framing, green oak joints.... making mortice & tenons, scarf joints, etc.

There are lots of different types of chisel and I'm not sure what I need?.... is a 1" chisel a good starting chisel for timber framing joints, or maybe 1.5"?.... and is it best to have a bevel edged or straight?.... and what is a registered chisel?

Confused!! :001_huh:

cheers, steve

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For framing bigger joints you want to aim for socket chisels so they take the abuse.

For most framing joints a 1", 1.5" and 2" will do all you need including marking joints and making them.

The best value new chisels are robert sorby ones, but there not a socket type, I have a few and they take the abuse. If you want to push the boat out and buy the very best then Barr make the best chisels.

A straight sided chisel will have more metal and be a little stronger but a bevel edge chisel having the corner knocked off will allow a little more clearance for some joints.

Also invest in a decent mallet for driving them with and some stones to keep them sharp.

Paul Sellars Utube

I went through a woodworking phase last year LOL

Cheers Hungry Squirrel :thumbup: ....socket chisels.... right, got that cheers. What kind of length should I get, or do they tend to be a similar length?

I was watching that Paul Sellars video last night..... those diamond stones look the biz.

cheers, steve

Axminster Tools and Machinery stock forged all steel wood chisels which I found very good and can be struck with a lump hammer. I bought the 30mm and 50mm straight chisels and wished I had also bought the 40mm cranked chisel. A 38mm 'normal' chisel I bought which was designed to be used with a steel hammer broke inside the handle after just a couple of large mortices.

Andrew

Framing chisels are longer than bench chisels to allow for the larger work.

Simplest set up for sharpening is 600/1200grit wet and dry. Stick some to a piece of mdf and use until it's knackered then glue on another sheet.

A lot cheaper than diamond stones and does just aswell

Ah, I see..... I won't be doing massive stuff so hopefully the bench chisels will get me by.

Good call on the sharpening.

cheers, steve

Framing chisels are longer than bench chisels to allow for the larger work.

Simplest set up for sharpening is 600/1200grit wet and dry. Stick some to a piece of mdf and use until it's knackered then glue on another sheet.

A lot cheaper than diamond stones and does just aswell

Yes - I work mine up through the grades 120, 320, 600, 1200 and for fine finishing 2400.

Alec