wood pigeons

Silverwood

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been asked to take down a eucalyptus tree with two resident wood pigeons active.

do these mofo's breed all year round?

when will be safe to crack on?

cheers and thanks in advance.

Sean.

Yep . They pretty much do have at it all year round . Having shot countless woodies in my time I still can't bring myself to interfere in any way when they are sitting or have young . Wait till whatever s there has fledged then get in quick before they start again !

I think all birds are covered by Act. You never know who's watching.

Mmmmm . that's why I was a little bit more diplomatic . They are classed as vermin on farm land and so legitimate quarry species but not sure about on the nest situations hence the form of my post .....

Mmmmm . that's why I was a little bit more diplomatic . They are classed as vermin on farm land and so legitimate quarry species but not sure about on the nest situations hence the form of my post .....

Now I've shot and eaten plenty but I'm not even sure how decoying over stubble etc stands nowadays. Evidently you have to prove you've taken all other steps to discourage them from eating your crop before shooting. Surely decoying them would be classed as 'sport'?

I've had my fill of any numbers game now but good luck to any that still do it. As for the original question I'm pretty sure all nesting birds are protected inc those on vermin quarry lists. You just have to be careful:sneaky2:

Now I've shot and eaten plenty but I'm not even sure how decoying over stubble etc stands nowadays. Evidently you have to prove you've taken all other steps to discourage them from eating your crop before shooting. Surely decoying them would be classed as 'sport'?

I've had my fill of any numbers game now but good luck to any that still do it. As for the original question I'm pretty sure all nesting birds are protected inc those on vermin quarry lists. You just have to be careful:sneaky2:

I'm not sure either as I don't bother shooting any more ( can't be arsed ) but we would turn the gas banger off after a few days as they had got used to it and set up and fill yer boots !

I'm not sure either as I don't bother shooting any more ( can't be arsed ) but we would turn the gas banger off after a few days as they had got used to it and set up and fill yer boots !

Or just leave it on. Amusing to watch a flock jump two feet and carry on as normal after a bang:001_smile:

I don't bother shooting nowadays...just work my dog. I'm not even convinced they do much damage to rape. Even after grazing a field it seems to come back stronger than ever. The smell of a pigeon's crop full of rape could put you off eating them forever!

If I was you I would leave it alone. You will not be covered by the general licence in that situation. The pigeons are not causing distress or damage. I am going to shoot a load of feral pigeons tomorrow who are definitely within the act due to their behaviour but if there are some nesting then they can wait till next time.