Dolmar 5105 vs ?

SteveA

I'm looking at getting a Dolmar 5105

A dealer suggested that I get a Stihl 261 instead as according to him the Stihl has a better name.... but I've looked up reviews of the 261 and have noticed people mentioning having reliability problems.

Also been looking at the Husqvarna 550XP and some people (not all) are having reliability problems. Same with 560XP.

I haven't found anyone reporting problems with the Dolmar 5105.

Thoughts?....

image.jpg.b3f1f13cf6dfc94c2a4ef4e07c15629d.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think that's a 510 in the video. The 5105 has a little more grunt. It is not as light as a 550XP.

I am importing them for enthusiasts; I say that latter word so that buyers understand they are not going to get dealer backup from just another enthusiast with a supplier in Illinois! That needs to be clear from the off.

I have confidence that looked after, the dollys aren't hungry for parts and if desperate Mak parts will fit.

My thread on here "lovely little Dolmar" gives some more info too.

I have cut atleast 1000 ton (felled, converted) of larch, douglas and mixed hardwoods with my 5105 with absolutely no issues. I removed the spark arrestor within the first few tanks. It has the top end attitude and low end torque (KWF figures will back this up - over s & h) of a larger displacement saw and is very smooth. Torque wise it's like a H 357xp, top end sounds very nice and crisp. Someone wrote on my guidebar in blue lumber crayon after trying it - "little nutter"!.

It is indeed by far the best softwood production saw in it's size; it rolls around the timber beautifully and pumps through hard pegs with no let up.

I got shavey the 7910 - he'll reiterate his happiness with it I'm sure.

The new 6100 is likely to make an appearance in my world soon!

There are subtle differences between the Dols and the Maks; in the Dols favour. I am of the opinion Dolmar would sell a lot of these saws in the UK if they were here. Parent co Makita of course have to deprive us; fools.

I will be posting a complete price list soon.

I have owned both a MS261 and 550XP so feel my comments are substantiated.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

The new 6100 is likely to make an appearance in my world soon!

I will be posting a complete price list soon.

Be good to hear your thoughts on the Dolmar 6100, when are you expecting it to arrive?

I'm guessing it'll be a bit more powerful than the Husqvarna 560XP.

Will be good to have a UK price list :thumbup1:

What's the story with the warranty if you import a Dolmar saw?

Will Makita U.K. honour the warranty of a Dolmar saw from USA or Europe?

1) The US dealer I'm dealing with would yes but the cost and hassle of returing it is obviously a bit of a non starter/

2) Got my doubts but you never know.

Be good to hear your thoughts on the Dolmar 6100, when are you expecting it to arrive?

I'm guessing it'll be a bit more powerful than the Husqvarna 560XP.

Will be good to have a UK price list :thumbup1:

Nope, nothing is as powerful as a 560xp I think. But then a broke saw has no power anyway! :laugh1: The Dolmar will be working!

Stilll waiting on it soz...

1) The US dealer I'm dealing with would yes but the cost and hassle of returing it is obviously a bit of a non starter/

2) Got my doubts but you never know.

Thanks TCD.

I have emailed Makita U.K. and asked if they will honour a Dolmar Warranty - I wil let you know what they say!

I have seen a couple of websites in Germany that might ship Dolmar chainsaws direct to the U.K.

What are the differences between a USA model and European model 5105?

Edited by Ty Unnos

Thanks TCD.

I have emailed Makita U.K. and asked if they will honour a Dolmar Warranty - I wil let you know what they say!

I have seen a couple of websites in Germany that might ship Dolmar chainsaws direct to the U.K.

What are the differences between a USA model and European model 5105?

I fear the euro model might be down-tuned but I could be wrong. The USA stuff I get comes with a CAT muffler which should restrict it yet I ran it alongside a direct oppo Mak 5030 and the dolly was better, albeit very marginally. I went with the US ones mainly on price; they start so cheap out there that even with the shipping and import tax they worked out cheaper. The dealer out there has been absolutely superb so I'm sticking with them but I think shaveys one is a euro import via TCF when they did them; they don't anymore for some reason. Shavey - can you post a pic of your 5105 carburretor ? I will do likewise...