Dolmar 5105 vs ?

SteveA

I fear the euro model might be down-tuned but I could be wrong. The USA stuff I get comes with a CAT muffler which should restrict it yet I ran it alongside a direct oppo Mak 5030 and the dolly was better, albeit very marginally. I went with the US ones mainly on price; they start so cheap out there that even with the shipping and import tax they worked out cheaper. The dealer out there has been absolutely superb so I'm sticking with them but I think shaveys one is a euro import via TCF when they did them; they don't anymore for some reason. Shavey - can you post a pic of your 5105 carburretor ? I will do likewise...

hello all mine was a usa import as welll TCF engineering got a batch fro north east tractor sales i will take a picture of the carb i think mine was a bit newer than yours but iam not 100% about that

but i have now added a ps 5000 not cat muffler and it has cooled down the exhaust port and increased power :thumbup::thumbup:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I got a reply from Makita U.K.

They say they will honour the warranty on a European purchased Dolmar chainsaw as long as all the paper work is correct and there is an equivalent Makita model chainsaw sold in the U.K.

Unfortunatley they said they cannot do warranty work on an imported USA chainsaw as they are not CE marked.

Seems a shame to honour one but not the other but at least now we know.

Ok I got a reply from Makita U.K.

They say they will honour the warranty on a European purchased Dolmar chainsaw as long as all the paper work is correct and there is an equivalent Makita model chainsaw sold in the U.K.

Unfortunatley they said they cannot do warranty work on an imported USA chainsaw as they are not CE marked.

Seems a shame to honour one but not the other but at least now we know.

:congrats:

That's good to know.

But is there an equivalent UK Makita to the Dolmar 5105?

Beats the hell out of me why Makita dont just get on with selling Dolmars properly in the UK without all this faffing about!! Rant! :banghead:

Cheers

:congrats:

That's good to know.

But is there an equivalent UK Makita to the Dolmar 5105?

Beats the hell out of me why Makita dont just get on with selling Dolmars properly in the UK without all this faffing about!! Rant! :banghead:

Cheers

DCS5030 / 5031. Just can't deal with the blue (plus it's got different innerds). Only plus on the Mak is the standard starter, not the thick easy-start rubbish :001_huh:

hello all sent an email this morning to national sales manager of o.p.e at makita uk

asking for a few plans for the future of dolmar coming into the retail sales marketplace, an getting there veiws on putting another choice of chainsaw out there for the proffesional to choose from, i have given him a list of various chain saws and brushcutters to price up

cheers shavey

I'm looking at getting a Dolmar 5105

A dealer suggested that I get a Stihl 261 instead as according to him the Stihl has a better name.... but I've looked up reviews of the 261 and have noticed people mentioning having reliability problems.

Also been looking at the Husqvarna 550XP and some people (not all) are having reliability problems. Same with 560XP.

I haven't found anyone reporting problems with the Dolmar 5105.

Thoughts?....

[ATTACH]142100[/ATTACH]

Oner reason you find a lot more problem reports on the STIHL MS 261 and Husqvarna 550 XP than you do on the Dolmar 5105 is that there are a LOT more of the former saws around. I would say 100 times as many.

And even if the Dolmar is more reliable (I don't think there are any credible/objective reliability figures available), you need to take into account spares availability for consumables (break bands etc) and service availability. If it takes you five times as long to get a Dolmar fixed, when it is broken, as compared to a STIHL or Husqvarna, it may have a reliability that is five times as high, but will still be non-functional for the same proportion of time.

DCS5030 / 5031. Just can't deal with the blue (plus it's got different innerds). Only plus on the Mak is the standard starter, not the thick easy-start rubbish :001_huh:

I'm surprised they would respect the European Dolmar warranty if it's got different innards. All feels very vague.

To be honest though, if the dolmar is alot more reliable i'm not that bothered about having a warranty, and anyway, if it does go wrong i can fix it myself! :001_smile:

Oner reason you find a lot more problem reports on the STIHL MS 261 and Husqvarna 550 XP than you do on the Dolmar 5105 is that there are a LOT more of the former saws around. I would say 100 times as many.

And even if the Dolmar is more reliable (I don't think there are any credible/objective reliability figures available), you need to take into account spares availability for consumables (break bands etc) and service availability. If it takes you five times as long to get a Dolmar fixed, when it is broken, as compared to a STIHL or Husqvarna, it may have a reliability that is five times as high, but will still be non-functional for the same proportion of time.

hello morten that is very true i agree the older sachs and dolmars always had problems with the brake band i have two saws here with broken chainbrakes

but i do think now dolmars hardly go wrong i cant complain with my pair

with the new computer age and express delivery service parts should be here quicker if you need them:thumbup:

There are lots of Dolmars being used in the USA but (as far as i have researched) very little reporting of problems.

Quite happy to use my Silky Saw as a backup! There's always lots of other jobs to get on with on our farm so not too concerned about chainsaw service/ repair times. But if i was a full time arborist I'd want a husky as backup.