Pick ups

Orchard

Looking at buying a double cab 4x4 pick up. I am open minded to make/model etc. Up here in cumbria I am getting more and more people opting for having chip left behind on site so I don't want something with the capacity of a transit tipper type truck. I was going to build a canopy which can hold a small amount of chip onto a l200, ranger hilux etc and if I found it worked well I could convert to a arb type tipper.

I just wanted to ask the people who have been there and done it as it were, do I get a cheap n cheerful £3k pick up or do I hold out for something £7k and upwards? It won't be my only vehicle but as I have a newish vw caddy for general Eco driving about.

So if any of you have any suggestions, advice I am all ears.

Cheers

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think 7k is a very sensible amount to be spending on a truck, it will have done most of its depreciation by then, should still be a tidy respectable and reliable truck. 3k- unless you strike lucky you may well end up spending far more in downtime and repairs.

Which truck- well you will get a load of replys suggesting all different trucks and their merits or issues. Id only have a landrover 110/130 for what you are suggesting as that's what I have and it has been an idestructable workhorse for the last 6 years and has good carrying capacity and towing capacity, not to mention superior off roading over the other pickups.

In the space of an hour my mind has been made up then changed again!!! As I say for now I don't mind unloading chip from a pick up by hand until I am happy with the truck then I'll get in converted to a tipper.

Hilux landrover hilux landrover???