hitchhiker set up

tree man69

I take it you mean hitch climber set up? If so....

What hitch do you run?,if its VT it needs another braid or sometimes if you spin it around 180 till the back end of the hitch faces you,i find sometimes that works.

If the hitch cord or the rope is new,that might be a factor too.

Ive found in the past not all types of hitch cord and ropes "bite"

well.Experiment with different types of cord and hitches,try distel hitch or michoacan.

Edited by stihlmadasever

The knot should be exactly as per the instructions IMO - if the legs are too long & the knot too far above the body of the device, it can be a difficult to get it to grab reliably, especially on thin cordage.

After long ascents, when the knot has run & not grabbed then you often have to tend the hitch as per most knot of this style.

Stihlmad- the vt is not a good knot for the hitchhiker in my experience

I take it you mean hitch climber set up? If so....

What hitch do you run?,if its VT it needs another braid or sometimes if you spin it around 180 till the back end of the hitch faces you,i find sometimes that works.

A VT is not a good hitch with the HH and turning the hitch around degrades the overall performance.

Adding another braid makes it even worse.

A VT is not a good hitch with the HH and turning the hitch around degrades the overall performance.

Adding another braid makes it even worse.

I find hitches are down to the individuals requirements and sayin one hitch is not good is an opinion and not a fact.

I know climbers who use hitches but adjust them acordingly eg add a braid,a turn or even simplefy them slightly according to there specific requirements.

I run a two wrap distel on my lanyard as 3 wraps bites to hard,this would be considered wrong by purists but it works for me.

I agree the VT needs tending often but ive found it to work better with my own adjustments.Again it comes down to the climbers preferences and climbing style.

I find hitches are down to the individuals requirements and sayin one hitch is not good is an opinion and not a fact.

I know climbers who use hitches but adjust them acordingly eg add a braid,a turn or even simplefy them slightly according to there specific requirements.

I run a two wrap distel on my lanyard as 3 wraps bites to hard,this would be considered wrong by purists but it works for me.

I agree the VT needs tending often but ive found it to work better with my own adjustments.Again it comes down to the climbers preferences and climbing style.

I think you're talking about a different device to everyone else mate

On the hitch-hiker a vt is a very poor knot - if you disagree with this, then you have no knowledge of the device!!! Do you own one or have any time on one?

hi have his set bup and it keep s sliping all the time when I put up and tend the slack it slip down any I deers ?

Pics would help :)

I have found Teufelberger ocean polyester eye to eye friction cord to be good. A good way to progress onto this system is to start with a michoachan eye tie or distel (both are good grippy hitches) and once you are comfortable then try a VT.

If you are switching from a Prussic or blakes to a HC then it my be your thrusting tecnique. I encountered this when I switched systems, I found that when I was holding the tail of my mainline to support my weight the hitch didn't grip because I was used to holding my weight off the hitch (Prussic) to advance it. Practice putting your weight on the hitch to get it to grip once you have thrusted up. Hope this makes sense for you.