Why static rope not rock climbers rope?

cerneARB

As it asks above.

Why do we not use rock climbers rope for tree work. Never understood it, can anyone enlighten me.

safe working practices warn us off our tree climbers rope snapping if under too much weight if we fall, so why dont we have rope that has a bit more flexibilty in it?:confused1:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When tree climbing you climb using the rope, the bouce in s dynamic rope would knacker you before you got into the tree. A rock climber will not climb on the rope at all, it is purely there as a life line. Yes it would be better in the case of a fall if the rope was dynamic but the extra effort in using the rope isn't worth the potential benefit in the case of a fall

For stuff like SRT, footlocking etc then dynamic rope has too much bounce. I use a dynamic rope for mine-exploration (which you ain't meant to use) and its hard work trying to climb a rope that stretches. A good example of this is I abseiled partway into a shaft into a side tunnel unhooked went for a crawl came back and tied in again. Came to climb back up stepped out of the inset and promptly dropped 6 foot because of the stretch in the rope. I could see the advantages for dynamic rope in a situation where you fall as its alot more comfortable to fall onto a dynamic bit of rope rather than static. I think once you are in a tree a dynamic rope would perform as well as a static one but its getting up there in the first place that will knacker you out.

AS above re: dynamic stretch, but also although they are both Kermantle construction, they are opposite in where the strength lies. You cant inspect a Rock climbing rope in its core where most of it's strenth is found.

Thats the way I understand it. The outside of an arb rope is where the strenght lies. Hence loler visual inspections.