2 rope system

Peter

Reduced an ash pollard today, the spec was 15%, knocked down by the tree officer from 20%. The main pollard heads were at about 10 metres, with the same again in regrowth. There were decay pockets at the pollard points.

I decided to use 2 seperate climbing systems, one set about halfway up the regrowth, and the second one as high as possible, at a stem diameter of about 75mm. I switched the higher anchor point from one side to the other as I worked around the tree.

My reasoning for this setup is that if the high anchor snapped, the second anchor must be able to hold not only my weight, but also absorb a shock load from the first anchor being roped onto it. Using two high weak points would merely result in merely result in a domino effect. The downside is that you end up climbing above the low anchor a lot.

It was probably unnecessary as no anchor, high or low, cam close to breaking.

It was interesting to see how much of a pain using two systems is. Ropes tangling, swings pretty much impossible, restricted movement, especially above the anchor point. It was quite easy to control two hitches with one hand on descent though, just like doing an aerial rescue!

13102008120.jpg

I was going to ask you how you went about tackling it from your earlier pics when I noticed the decay pockets.

Always worth the investment having a bomb proof second anchor even if things are a little restrictive movement wise.

I did exactly the same on the Ash with bad bacterial cankers I posted a while ago. You know your going for a big swing if your first does go but it gives you a little more confidence and it's surprising how much they do take when they're upright stems

They hold a lot of weight when it is directly below the anchor, its when you start side loading the stems that things get hairy. I had to get out quite a long way on the side branches, to about a 30 degree rope angle.

Good technique to have in the toolbox, as long as you understand what will happen should you break an anchor.

Definetly not an all purpose solution for tree work. Can you imagine reducing a conifer hedge with 2 ropes?!

Peter,

I think the two rope approach can be very appropriate when working trees that are structurally dodgy.

A couple of weeks back we section felled a dead birch with some serious cavities on the lean side. I piggy-backed two Hitch Climbers one on top of the other, works really well actually. You can operate both hitches more or less with one hand, one attachment point on your harness (in this case it makes sense to be using a swivel).

Definitvely made an unpleasant situation feel less so...