Best Guide Bar and Chain combination?

huskydusky

Looking for some advice currently running a 15" Oregon Micro-Pro lite and 95vpx chain which are now coming to the end of their life. The Jonny 2051 is used for home logging so doesn't really get any serious abuse on a day to day basis...maybe once a week.

The 2051 I purchased from spud on this very forum and runs a dream still,had a few modifications made to it.....a little porting......it flies!!:001_smile:

Would appreciate some advice on the best combo and your reasons why?

Thanks

Looking for some advice currently running a 15" Oregon Micro-Pro lite and 95vpx chain which are now coming to the end of their life. The Jonny 2051 is used for home logging so doesn't really get any serious abuse on a day to day basis...maybe once a week.

The 2051 I purchased from spud on this very forum and runs a dream still,had a few modifications made to it.....a little porting......it flies!!:001_smile:

Would appreciate some advice on the best combo and your reasons why?

Thanks

Sugihara Lightweight Pro and Oregon or Stihl Full chisel chain .

I like Oregon LPX slightly better than Stihl RS/RSC in .325, as it is slightly faster and smoother. Longer cutters as well, that should translate into lasting longer.

I like both though, no big deal!

According to the chainsawbars website those chains don't stay sharp as long as say the micro chisel chain......I'm not to hot at sharpening either!:thumbdown:

Would be used generally for hardwood,with softwood on occasions

Edited by huskydusky

According to the chainsawbars website those chains don't stay sharp as long as say the micro chisel chain......I'm not to hot at sharpening either!:thumbdown:

Would be used generally for hardwood,with softwood on occasions

They all blunt at the same rate, the difference is that chisel chain has a single point of cutting edge, whereas other chains have multiple or larger cutting edges. The increased cutting surfaces of semi, chamfer and micro-chisel increases stress on the power unit of the saw. Narrow kerf bars help decrease the drag to compensate for the sapping of the power running these types of chain.

Sharpening takes practice, and a bit of experimentation to find what works best for your cutting style.

On another note, Oregon chains are made of a harder steel than Stihl chain, but Stihl uses more chrome plating, which protects a bit more from damage when cutting dirty wood or if you're prone to decking the bar.

Niko (sawtroll) is also right in that the Oregon cutters are slightly longer. This is an intentional design for the US chainsaw racers who file the backs off (clipped heels), similar to Stihl comfort chain. This is better for bore cutting, where the heels of the cutters contact the back of the timber more than the cutting edge, slowing cut speed and increasing vibration.