Electronic HAV Chainsaw monitoring.

John Hancock

Electronic HAV Chainsaw monitoring.

We’re about to undergo a three month trial regarding Hand Arm Vibration here at Worcester City Council. The trial will consist of the testing of all saws and associated equipment for vibration levels, the fitting of electronic sensors to each saw and then the issue of swipe cards to members of the team which will be read by a base station.

Usage and vibration levels will then be recorded on a daily, weekly and monthly basis and reports and comparisons made.

We’ve been recording our approximate usage and vibration levels for some time and have consistently gone over the recommended HAV limit, so a proper electronic survey should provide interesting!

Is this of any interest to people?

If it is I’ll publish details of the tests and results as they come in.

John.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought as much.

Cheers for the info.:thumbup1:

Its just most of the lads I know are climbers and I very rarely hear about HAVS problems. Which is defiantly not to say we should ignore them.

The more injuries I pick up along the way the more I look into how I can help prevent some of them.

Anyway look forward to seeing the info.:thumbup1:

I'd be intrested to see the results.

Are your readings for vibration taken 'live' as in when the saws cutting wood over the day?

In my experence of HAV monitoring when i had a bit of an experiment using a 357xpg 2006 vintage. New bar a chain cutting gave the 8 hour plus a day safe reading. Well sharpened gave the same reading but not quite as vibe free. A chain with the edge knocked off gave some 6 hours and a bit blunter still gave 2 hours. Oh and a very blunt chain gave about 30 mins!

Norfolk county council does it all ready on the high ways they swipe a card on the docking station which then makes a little box flash with is then registerd to them for that day so a

And all plant like wacker plates and fisc cutters have a littlr orange magnet stuck on it to hold the little box what records the vibs and at the end of the day they put it back on the docking station ehich reords all the data.

I would be interested, my, hands are suffering really badly, they hurt in the cold and go blue, I'm to young for white finger (26) but have been using saws since i was 15. I was going to go doctor but knew they would only say use saw less and take more breaks