Best alternative to a Stihl MS230

Bunzena

I've had a Stihl MS230 knocking around for the last 6 years - and it's always been a pig. Doesn't like starting and now won't rev properly.

Been back to the dealer and I've pulled it apart more than few times. Works for a while - and then starts playing up. Always drained of fuel - and serviced regularly.

I've now lost confidence in it - and want to replace it with something equivalent.

Being lazy - I'd like an 'easy adjust chain' too!

Could anyone help with some suggestions? Ideally something you've had a better experience of than I have with the Stihl. http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/images/smiliesmodern/001_smile.gif

Many thanks.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks MonkeyMoreton - not considered an Echo. Any model you'd recommend?

And Gooseflight - not sure about the fuel pipe - will check. Thanks for the advice.

My MS230 was always a bit of a shocker to start right from the beginning [i had it new]. Feels like a 'Friday-night-Special'....

Any other thoughts from anyone on replacements?

Thanks Stubby.

I did have in mind an Echo 450 - or possibly a Shindaiwa 452S.

[Not sure how much difference there is between the two - and which one might be better. Both brands are owned by one company - I think?].

Already have some Shindaiwa kit [brushcutter, pole saw] and it's been fantastic over the years. Tough, reliable - really love it.

Getting spares other than by mail order for Shindaiwa is tricky though. So Echo might be a better bet.

The Husky 445 looks good too - but don't know if it's better than the Echo.

Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone for comments so far...

Thanks TimberCutter. Stupidly - I'd not even thought of a 390.

It looks like a really good saw. Having read some reviews - that's backed-up by owners too - so a really smart suggestion.

ForestAndArb have a good online price - is experience of them generally good?

And I see lots of suggestions for alternative chains/bars. Curious to know how many people stay with 'stock' items.

Thanks again to all who've contributed.

I've had a Stihl MS230 knocking around for the last 6 years - and it's always been a pig. Doesn't like starting and now won't rev properly.

Been back to the dealer and I've pulled it apart more than few times. Works for a while - and then starts playing up. Always drained of fuel - and serviced regularly.

I've now lost confidence in it - and want to replace it with something equivalent.

Being lazy - I'd like an 'easy adjust chain' too!

Could anyone help with some suggestions? Ideally something you've had a better experience of than I have with the Stihl. http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/images/smiliesmodern/001_smile.gif

Many thanks.

If you want a new saw and will consider the usual bar nut system then I recommend a Dolmar PS 420 sc. This saw is a big leap forward in power, anti vibe,and build quality than the Stihl 230 ..IMO .Mine pictured is now run in and was easily capable of dealing with the timber you see it sitting on. AJS chainsaws...Shavey will sort you out and is a good chap to buy from.

Photo0861.jpg.345fd19469d66ee95726a1e9a215ba15.jpg