Stihl 390 any good?

Lazurus

One advertised locally with a 20" bar looks in good condition for around £200. Is it worth the money and would it run a 24" bar for occasional use? Any potential problems to check for?

S.

Plastic clamshell saw I think . .....

Plastic clamshell saw I think . .....

Yes, which means that it's a difficult job if you need to work on the cylinder or piston.

If you do a search of this site you'll find mixed opinions about the MS390. I have an MS390 and like it. It's not a pro-saw but then I'm an amateur. It's a large home-owners or farmers saw. Hence the name "FarmBoss."

According to the owners manual it'll go up to a 30" bar, although I think that's stretching it. I've used a 25" bar but normally use 16"or 18".

I have a 038 and a 391 but I've used the 390 farm boss, good saws with some power I run mine on a 20" and sometimes go up to a 23" if needed and there's still plenty of grunt.

I use mine for firewood but I have used it for ground work as its light enough for all day use.

Check out the cylinder through the plug hole and give the handles a good look for any cracks,

For 200 quid it's worth a look

One advertised locally with a 20" bar looks in good condition for around £200. Is it worth the money and would it run a 24" bar for occasional use? Any potential problems to check for?

S.

I love stihl...I have 16 chainswas and other various things...but the 390 is crap.:thumbup1:

Bit of a Marmite saw. You either love or hate them. If you have cylinder or bottom end issues then they are a real pig to work on but the rest is sort of OK and they cut OK but are not very exciting!

They don't tend to have great compression due to the exhaust port roof being quite close to the squish band but they work OK. They are a clamshell engine and as long as it starts OK and pulls 150+ psi compression, doesn't knock, the clutch and sprocket are OK, then it should be alright.