Which woodburner should I buy

ArthurBottlesworth

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got couple of Jotuls, an old no 1 i shoved on ktchen to get us through winter, and a posh newer one in living room,

The number 1 is old and ugly but gets hot, but I need boiler stove for central heating

Cutting logs like mad as I reckon I'll need 25+ cube .........

Just fed up with house being cold .......never had central heating in my life so all new to me....had hoped this gov't grant thingy would help but seems to be aimed at burning pellets - told this morning machine to make pellets £15k so thats off the plan

As far as grants and woodburners in houses go, you have to have an "approved" person fit the burner. These "approved" tradesmen charge just a bit more than the grant.

Basically an awful lot of paperwork that keeps people in jobs and is of no benefit to you at all.

Both myself and my cousin have both looked into it when fitting new boilers and concluded the same.

Thats what I thought too.....But when there are ads in farmers guardian saying boiler £5k gives you £7k pa income for 20 years you have to have a look

For the life of me cannot see why pellets are better than logs....

I undetstand all the advantages in handling pellets, acts more like traditional fuel, but actually better than logs not convinced ?

Perhaps more even burning characteristics......but reducing emissions ?

Have you thought of solar hot water panels. DIY fitting perhaps? Then just get a plumber to cert it if needed. It will boost hot water/CH and save on logs. Probably knock 4 months out you log requirements. I got a kit 2 years ago for less than £2k. Still need to fit it:blushing:

Providing it's not going in a "good" room in the house, try and pick up a second hand Stanley solid fuel cooker.

We've one in from new in 1988 and it's as good as the day it went in. It's had an easier time this winter with the arrival of the Burley stove (in a different room) which has negated the need for the central heating to be used so it now sits shut down but keeps hot water on tap 24hrs a day and background heat in the kitchen using about a bag of coal in the week.

A few years ago they were making buttons s/h, a lot pricier now but a good one would still be a cracking buy, especially as the new ones are of more dubious quality (allegedly!).

As with most things, generally you get what you pay for. Buy cheap buy twice!! There are many people on here that can give you advice about various stoves and systems but if you go for something else, then it's your shout mate!!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App