electro-hydraulic winches

Robbyrasta

I am looking to purchase a forestry winch- a electro-hydraulic version- with the controls attached with a few meters of wire.

The option of hydraulic assisted feed out appeals to me. How does it work?

Is it a two person job- one to walk off with the cable and one to control the feed out.

Or is it pressure related- so if you pull on the cable- it spools out, and stops spooling once the pressure is off.

i am assuming you don't flick it on- and run off with the cable and when you reach your required distance, run back to the controls to stop it spooling out- resulting a in a mess of cable at the foot of the machine.(one person)

Do you need remote controls to use the hydraulic feed out on your own?

Thanks Rob

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking to purchase a forestry winch- a electro-hydraulic version- with the controls attached with a few meters of wire.

The option of hydraulic assisted feed out appeals to me. How does it work?

Is it a two person job- one to walk off with the cable and one to control the feed out.

Or is it pressure related- so if you pull on the cable- it spools out, and stops spooling once the pressure is off.

i am assuming you don't flick it on- and run off with the cable and when you reach your required distance, run back to the controls to stop it spooling out- resulting a in a mess of cable at the foot of the machine.(one person)

Do you need remote controls to use the hydraulic feed out on your own?

It's a

Thanks Rob

It's assisted feed, so good if your pulling rope up hill.

EH is the way forward.

The remote has about 4' of cable on it. You have to pump out enough cable then drag it out and walk back to the winch to drag the stuff in. For just over a grand you can have a wireless radio remote which communicates with a box in the cab. You can that way flick a button to free spool and walk the cable out. Then attach everything stand out the way and winch in.

I have the powered feed assist. Basically it is a hydraulic motor that drives 4 wheels that pushes out the cable so you just have to move it rather than drag it off the drum. Also pumps it back in so you get a nicer lay on the drum.

EH is the way forward.

The remote has about 4' of cable on it. You have to pump out enough cable then drag it out and walk back to the winch to drag the stuff in. For just over a grand you can have a wireless radio remote which communicates with a box in the cab. You can that way flick a button to free spool and walk the cable out. Then attach everything stand out the way and winch in.

I have the powered feed assist. Basically it is a hydraulic motor that drives 4 wheels that pushes out the cable so you just have to move it rather than drag it off the drum. Also pumps it back in so you get a nicer lay on the drum.

EH with powered outfeed the way to go imo. Winching is hard work; make it as easy as possible = production goes up. :thumbup:

eh good & control, we have winch in sprung loaded which returns to drum braked and is a good with the action of winching and braked without any uncontrolled slack , free spool on the drum i.e brake off, this is good for 1 operator to pull cable out, we have 1 winch that will only allow slack if you hold the control and is a pain! as Andy has said wireless radio remote very useful, have no experience with powered outfeed but can guess a nice option, unfortunately we have a problem with our battery on the radio remote but had an enjoyable time pulling these Poplars up out of the site they were in

winch.jpg.f6f841019f129087c3b07841948e8942.jpg

timber1.jpg.4162bf9aff19edebd4d585585cfeea1e.jpg

5976687a6fe29_fellingtimber.jpg.3d7dad210a4c2170e532ecacda08622d.jpg

I suspect (having priced the "telefunk"/radio remote operation a while ago.)

That the £1000.00 option spec includes for tractor throttle control as well.

Very sensible, to knock the tractor back to tick-over, when not winching.

However much cheaper radio remotes are available, with more basic functionality.

I did "swither" over the power outfeed/radio remote option at the time, but for little more than hobby use, could not justify it.

Btw

I reckon power outfeed is likely to be essential with longer ropes, as the greater amount of line on the drum is more likely to get "fanked"

I surmise the power outfeed helps to keep the line lie tidier when spooling in empty, simply by keeping the wire taut by providing a measured amount of resistence.

marcus

I suspect (having priced the "telefunk"/radio remote operation a while ago.)

That the £1000.00 option spec includes for tractor throttle control as well.

Very sensible, to knock the tractor back to tick-over, when not winching.

However much cheaper radio remotes are available, with more basic functionality.

I did "swither" over the power outfeed/radio remote option at the time, but for little more than hobby use, could not justify it.

Btw

I reckon power outfeed is likely to be essential with longer ropes, as the greater amount of line on the drum is more likely to get "fanked"

I surmise the power outfeed helps to keep the line lie tidier when spooling in empty, simply by keeping the wire taut by providing a measured amount of resistence.

marcus

Got 100m on the drum and by the time you have 40m out power out is a god send. Especially if you put some revs on the tractor. Do you know how the remote throttle works. I have a + - button on the remote and i've always assumed it was for tractor throttle but no idea how to connect it. Guess it needs a servo on the throttle linkage?

yes a servo, for the vintage of tractor I am familiar with, i.e. mechanical throttle control.

How it would interface with a modern tractor with can-bus wiring I do not know.

But actually it should be absolutly straightforward seeing as modern can-bus equipped tractors are designed to seemlessly & intelligently integrate with various attatchments.

As long as the "telefunk" (being the attatched "implement") is so enabled.

regards,

marcus